Telco Franchise Issue Lingers
- PICTURE THIS. Barthold, Jim // Telephony;9/9/2002, Vol. 243 Issue 9, p25
Comments on the need for telecommunication companies to develop viable video alternatives to cable television. Advantages of video alternatives; Competitiveness of cable television; Existence of competition among networks on video dominance.
- VERIZON ADVANCES ON VIDEO. // Telephony;12/13/2004, Vol. 245 Issue 24, p9
This article reports that Verizon Communication Inc. last week nailed down its second cable franchise, its first in Texas and got a clear view of the opposition it can expect from the cable industry as it goes community by- community to add video to its fiber-to-the-premises initiative. Because...
- Whining Allowed: Cable's Competitors Complain to Commission. // CableFAX Daily;10/17/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 201, p1
Presents the views of several cable operators in the U.S. regarding the state of competition in the industry as of October 2005. EchoStar Communications; Verizon Communications; SBC Communications.
- Enlightened law ended monopoly in cable TV business. Hicks, Mike // Indianapolis Business Journal;6/9/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p27A
The article focuses on the passage of the House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1279 in Indianapolis, Indiana which serves as a national model for promoting competition in telecommunications services. Despite that competition lowers prices for telecommunication services, there is strong opposition to HEA...
- GET CREATIVE. Effros, Steve // CableFAX Daily;3/23/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 56, p4
Presents the author's opinion on the massive advertising lobbying campaign launched by the telecommunication industry in the U.S. Overview of legislative support being sought by the telecommunication industry; Competition and conflict between the cable television industry and the telephone...
- Phone fight. Shields, Todd // Brandweek;4/4/2005, Vol. 46 Issue 14, pSR54
Focuses on the conflict between telecommunication companies and cable operators due to the high-speed fiber line services offered by telephone companies in the U.S. Comment issued by telecommunication company Verizon against cable operators which are against the high-speed fiber line...
- Solving city's cable competition crunch. David, Greg // Crain's New York Business;4/2/2007, Vol. 23 Issue 14, p13
The article discusses the author's views on competition in the cable television industry in New York City. The author argues for the measures required to allow Verizon Communications Inc. to take on other competitors in the field. The New York City Council voted to authorize a TV franchise for...
- 'Level Field' Under Siege. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;3/14/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p40
Reports on the efforts of Verizon Communications Inc. in backing a bill that could loosen franchising requirements in the cable television industry in California, as of March 2005. Provisions of the cable bill proposed by assemblyman Hector De La Torre; Threat posed by standards to the...
- Cable Appears to Widen Data Lead. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p138
Reports the expansion of high-speed-data lead in cable communication industry in the U.S. Financial background of Verizon Communications and SBC Communications Inc.; Decrease in growth rate of major telecommunications; Rate of increase in major cable MSO subscribers.