Midwest Sees Mixed Results for Bond Questions, and New Faces in Office
- Utah Voters OK $139M of Bonds, Five Sales Tax Hikes. Williamson, Richard // Bondbuyer.com;11/14/2014, p20
The article reports the move by voters in Utah to authorize 139 million dollars worth of bonds and five sales-tax increases, but rejected 12.7 million dollars worth of bonds and two sales-tax hikes in the November 4, 2014 election. Among the approved bonds are those from the Provo City School...
- California Schools Lead Bond Election Wins. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/7/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32811, p1
The article reports on the statewide elections of the school bonds in California. During the election, voters in the state cast favorable votes on more than $2.5 billion worth of school bonding requests while voting on ballot measures elsewhere in the country produced a mixed bag of results....
- Financing a stadium is tougher than winning a championship. Baar, Aaron // Bond Buyer;09/22/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30235, p4A
Talks about the revenue bonds issued by Milwaukee, Wisconsin for the construction of a baseball stadium for the Brewers. Public ire against giving government aid to rich team owners; Cost of issuing convertible bonds.
- Public facilities. Cohen, Jodi B. // Bond Buyer;11/12/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30271, p23A
Reports on the decline in the bond issuance in the second half of 1997. Rise in the stadium and government spendings; Reasons for the top ranking of stadiums; Largest drop in issuance for the second quarter.
- Stadium funds not dead, Milwaukee says. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;07/09/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30431, p5
Reports on the Milwaukee Common Council's approval of the three-part funding package to pay for infrastructure at the new Brewers baseball park. Amount of bonds to be issued for the stadium project; Repayment of the bonds with parking-related revenues; Remarks of key officials regarding the...
- Election set to extend sales tax. Bandle, Scott // South County Journal;5/16/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 20, pA1
The article discusses the August 7, 2012 special election in Sunset Hills, Missouri to extend a sales tax beyond 2016 for road, building and facility maintenance funds. The half-cent sales tax, Proposition 8 of 1994, was to pay for 5.76 million dollars in bonds for capital improvements such as a...
- Iowa Schools Meet Resistance To Sales Tax-Backed Borrowing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;06/14/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30912, p1
Reports on the resistance to sales-tax backed school bonds in Polk County, Iowa. Spending of proceeds on a pay-as-you-go basis; Several counties in the state's approval of the sales tax.
- Cherokee County, Ga., OKs $150 Million School Bond and Sales Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;9/20/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31227, p38
Reports the approval of a school bond referendum and a renewal of one-cent sales tax by voters in Cherokee County, Georgia. Comments of Candler Howell, finance director of Cherokee County School District to the tax approval process; Support of the officials to the approval of the bonds and...
- Judge Voids Arizona Tax Initiative. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;08/11/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30952, p1
Reports on the decision of a Maricopa County Superior Court on a sales tax initiative in Arizona. Funding of about 900 million of bonds for school improvements; Provision of health care for the poor.