DAVE RICHARDSON, HOUSTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT: Thinking Big
- Going for Growth. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;4/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p52
The article offers information on how the decision of the foodservice department of Unified School District in Scottsdale, Arizona to began outside catering has helped the district generate extra revenue. Some of the catering clients have decided to participate in the National School Lunch...
- UNANNOUNCED CHECK-UPS: Florida school district audits cafeterias. // FoodService Director;03/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p16
Reports on the implementation of a Five Star Quality and Performance Review by the Brevard County School District in Florida its school cafeterias. Explanation from Dawn Houser, food service director of the district; Scope of the review; What made the program successful; Benefits of the program.
- Tufts Take-Away To Die For. King, Paul // FoodService Director;10/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p54
This article focuses on the to-go program of Tufts University. This program is part of the university's Dining Services program. At Tufts University, the idea of take-away has almost become an art form, since the opening of Hodgdon Good-To-Go in 2007. Located in 53-year-old Hodgdon Hall,...
- Spirit Builder. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;3/15/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p14
This article profiles Robert Kelley, resident foodservice district manager for the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools in North Carolina. Success has been tangible for Kelly and the rest of his team. Meal participation has increased by about 7% overall, while supplemental sales are up by...
- Food for Thought. Trainor, Charles K. // American School Board Journal;Nov2009, Vol. 196 Issue 11, p50
The article presents a reprint of the article "Food for Thought," by Charles K. Trainor, which appeared in the November 2009 issue of the journal. It focuses on the food service pitfalls, contract issues and other problems associated with School Lunch and School Breakfast, a food service program...
- Bright ideas to improve your business. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1999, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p36
Presents six proven strategies school food service directors (FSDs) can use to maximize use of their resources, develop their employees and streamline their organizations. Includes building relationships between foodservice staff and students; Encouraging employees' professional involvement...
- Runs Downtown Restaurant, Too: Knoxville, TN, Schools Feed Community Groups. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p50
Focuses on the food service management at the Knox County School District in Tennessee. How the district operates; Evening meals provided by the district; How the district runs a downtown restaurant; Menus offered in the restaurant.
- What to Know: ACAP mtg. explores campus cash-ops. // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Offers pieces of advice on designing or remodeling a campus foodservice facility. Primary considerations; Steps involved in developing the operation; Significance of customer relations to the success of the business; How to ensure faster services.
- Big Apple retools school meals, one bite at a time. Alexis, Jennifer // FoodService Director;11/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p14
This article focuses on the efforts of the New York City Office of School Support in New York to bring about changes in its food service system, hoping to boost participation and improve the nutritional profile of the menus. Much of this effort centers on visual upgrades such as new service-line...