New guidelines stress fiber, produce and milk
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;5/23/2005, Vol. 23 Issue 21, p3
Presents news brief concerning the business sector in Michigan as of May 2005. Rating of the Heart of West Michigan United Way charity; Plans of the U.S. Department of Agriculture to purchase canned and frozen asparagus to donate to child nutrition and other food assistance programs.
- Feds gave $20M in powdered milk to use as catfish food. Quaid, Libby // Buffalo Law Journal;10/30/2006, Vol. 78 Issue 87, p19
The article reports on the $20 million worth of powdered milk donated by the U.S. Agricultural Department. The donation was given to a Mississippi feed mill to use it as catfish food. The department's inspector general ordered officials to recover the total value of the milk and shipping costs....
- Helping School~childeren Make the Grade in Nutrition. Marion, Rosalie // Agricultural Research;Oct2005, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p4
This article focuses on the developments and challenges in the National school Lunch Week launched in October 2005 in honor of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National School Lunch Program, which ensures that nutritious lunches are available to schoolchildren. About 29 million children...
- New standards impact school nutrition. JACOBSEN, JESSICA // Beverage Industry;Aug2012, Vol. 103 Issue 8, p34
The article discusses the standards for school meals from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It mentions that the standards require schools to offer fruits and vegetables to students. It notes the establishment of calorie limits for school meals and the improvement of the standards with some...
- Donation Program Extended. Mark Huffman, J. // Dairy Foods;Dec2004, Vol. 105 Issue 12, p13
Reports that U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary Ann Veneman has extended the program to donate nonfat dry milk (NFDM) to nonprofit, faith-based and community organizations for use in meal services or for distribution to needy recipients. Number of organizations served by the...
- CLUB LIFE. // Foodservice & Hospitality;Jun2007, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p10
The article reports on the partnership between the Canada-based dairy processor Saputo Inc. and the Quebec Breakfast Club to promote good nutrition to children in 2007. Saputo will support the Quebec Breakfast Club over the next five years with a donation valued at $2.6 million. The partnership...
- Helping School Kids Reach Nutritional Excellence. Kretsch, Molly // Agricultural Research;Oct2005, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p2
This article discusses how behind-the-scenes efforts of U.S. Agricultural Research Services (ARS) researchers support the Department of Agriculture's school-meal programs in 2005. ARS National Human Nutrition Program scientists study nutrition's role in human health from early childhood to...
- Forum to take close look at shifting population mix. Unterseher, Erika; Finn, Kathy // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);9/5/94, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p8
Reports on a community forum regarding shifting population mix in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Greater New Orleans Foundation as the sponsor of the forum; Population trends and their implications for the future.
- milk bank:. Huber, Jeffrey T.; Gillaspy, Mary L. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of AIDS-Related Terminology;2000, p140
This article presents an encyclopedia entry for the "milk bank," which refers to a facility that collects, pasteurizes, and distributes donor human milk to premature or ill infants and children.