Catch 22 on rent increases
- Roller-coaster that was 2007. Pamben, Deven // Cabinet Maker;1/4/2008, Issue 5570, p4
The article discusses the monthly performance of the furniture industry in Great Britain in 2007. In January, retailers reported a sales increase for their furniture. However, in April, the out-of-town retail parks experienced a downturn in occupancy due to high rents. In December, furniture...
- Rent rises too high for 25% of RSLs. Merrick, Neil // Public Finance;11/03/2000, p12
Reports that one in four registered social landlords in Great Britain breached the Housing Corp.'s limit on rent increases. Guideline on retail price index; Large-scale voluntary transfers.
- Retailers' backlash against landlords. // Cabinet Maker;7/25/2008, Issue 5598, p8
The article reports on the collaboration among big retailers to demand changes in the way they pay their rents to property owners in Great Britain. Companies including Argos, Bhs Ltd. and Debenhams Retail PLC have planned to appoint a representative who would negotiate with owners before the...
- Landlords face Â£700m deficit. // Estates Gazette;1/24/2009, Issue 904, p35
This article reports on a forecast made by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) that retail landlords in Great Britain could face a rental deficit of Â£700 million. The firm made the prediction after discovering that the 22 retailers that have gone into administration were planning to close 43 percent...
- Landlords warned over future of troubled MFI. McClary, Samantha // Estates Gazette;9/27/2008, Issue 838, p37
The article reports that Merchant Equity Partners (MEP), is understood to be investigating a number of options for retailer MFI in Great Britain. , including a prepack deal that would see it retain its profitable stores and hand back loss-making units to landlords. The group asked its landlords...
- As expiry of rent hike moratorium looms, small retailers gear up for struggle. Ol�h, P�ter // Budapest Business Journal;11/25/2002, Vol. 10 Issue 49, p10
Reports that retail store operators in central Budapest, Hungary are preparing for an increase in rents from the beginning of 2004. End of a moratorium on terminating contracts signed in the 1970s and 1980s; Decline in the number of rented premises in District 6; Expansion policy of drugstore...
- Retail market races back from downturn. Hare, David // Las Vegas Business Press;5/20/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 20, p2B
Reports the economic condition of retail markets in Las Vegas, Nevada. Effort of the retail stores to keep track with expenditures; Increase in sales; Amount of rental rates.
- Retailers' rents rise as vacancies shrink. Bullard, Stan // Crain's Cleveland Business;01/04/99, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p3
Focuses on the increase in rents of retail stores in Northeast Ohio during the 1998 holiday season. Comment by Mark Rantala, director of retail services at CB Richard Ellis; Average increase in rents affecting retailers; Reaction by retailers to the increase.
- Taking sides over location. Croghan, Lore // Crain's New York Business;08/24/98, Vol. 14 Issue 34, p1
States that the increase in rent prices by several landlords has influenced businesses to relocate from avenues to side-street buildings in New York. Relocation of Yardi Systems Inc. to a side-street building; Comments from Bernard Ross, regional vice president of sales at Yardi Systems;...