Predictive value of a self-reported history of varicella infection in determining immunity in adults
- Herpes Simplex Virus 2 ICP0- Mutant Viruses Are Avirulent and Immunogenic: Implications for a Genital Herpes Vaccine. Halford, William P.; Püschel, Ringo; Rakowski, Brandon // PLoS ONE;2010, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p1
Herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) ICP0- mutants are interferon-sensitive, avirulent, and elicit protective immunity against HSV- 1 (Virol J, 2006, 3:44). If an ICP0- mutant of herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2) exhibited similar properties, such a virus might be used to vaccinate against genital...
- A POEM for your practice: Patient-Oriented Evidence that Matters. // Contemporary Pediatrics;Nov2004, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p61
Discusses research being done on the contagiousness of varicella acquired by vaccinated individuals. Reference to a study by J. F. Seward et al., published in a 2004 issue of the "Journal of American Medical Association"; Symptoms of varicella in vaccinated patients; Verification of the...
- Is flu salvation right under our nose? // New Scientist;6/8/2013, Vol. 218 Issue 2920, p16
The article discusses a report published in "Science Translational Medicine" by researcher James Wilson and team on a universal influenza virus vaccine which uses viral DNA to promote production of antibodies against all influenza viruses, a discovery that could allow for stockpiling of vaccines.
- IMMUNISATION: the facts. Phelps, Kerryn // Australian Women's Weekly;Mar2003, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p163
Presents some facts about immunization of children. Effectiveness of chickenpox vaccine; Cost of meningococcus vaccine; Vaccination of women planning to get pregnant.
- Herpesvirus Vaccines: An Update. Jennings, R.; Green, T.; Kinghorn, G.R. // BioDrugs;1998, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p257
The development of vaccines against the herpesviruses has major public health importance because of the wide spectrum of associated clinical disease with this virus in both immunocompetent and immunocompromised populations. Because these viruses establish latent infections capable of subsequent...
- Varicella-Related Deaths--United States, 2002. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;6/13/2003, Vol. 52 Issue 23, p545
Summarizes clinical data for one adult and one child from Kansas and Illinois who died because of varicella. Vaccinations recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices to prevent the spread of varicella; Background on varicella; Number of...
- Review: Varicella vaccination is effective in children. Uhari, Matti // ACP Journal Club;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 136 Issue 1, p25
Presents an abstract of the study 'Varicella Vaccination--A Critical Review of the Evidence,' by S. A. Skull and E. E. Wang, published in the August 2001 issue of the 'Archives of Disease in Children.' Comment on the study.
- stop THE SPOTS. // Woman's Day (Australia Edition);11/4/2002, p46
Provides information on chickenpox. Details on how a person can acquire the disease; Significance of vaccination in preventing the spread of the disease.
- Prophylactic HPV vaccines. Stanley, Margaret // Journal of Clinical Pathology;Sep2007, Vol. 60 Issue 9, p961
The author presents comments on prophylactic human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines. According to her, two groups of HPVs include those that infect skin and those that infect internal wet squamous mucosal surfaces. She says that about 40 HPV types regularly or occasionally infect the mucosal...