Nicktoons Festival Aims at New Animators
- Explosion in cable TV gives film business big boost. Young, Deborah // Variety;2/19/96, Vol. 362 Issue 3, p45
Reports on the effect of the growth of cable television on the motion picture industry in India. Benefits of television exposure; Increasing number of film producers who have switched from movies to television.
- Life aquatic for 2-D. Wolff, Ellen // Daily Variety;12/9/2004, Vol. 285 Issue 49, pA4
This article reports that grossing nearly $70 million at the box office so far, "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" has breathed some life into a film genre many considered a goner--traditionally drawn 2-D animated features. The modest success of Paramount's bump-up of a popular Nickelodeon TV...
- Media Pro pops for Buftea studio. Meils, Cathy // Variety;04/20/98, Vol. 370 Issue 10, p29
Reports the acquisition of Romania film studio, Buftea by Media Pro cable television network. Business background of Buftea.
- Hot numbers. // Variety;6/6/94, Vol. 355 Issue 6, p9
Presents a summary of entertainment industry statistics in the United States as of June 6, 1994. Sales of the `Johnny Carson: His Favorite Moments from the Tonight Show' videotapes; Broadway long runs; Advertising revenues of cable networks; Best of the West; Top five movies' four-day weekends'...
- Producers hitch stars to docus. Edelstein, Bill // Variety;4/3/95, Vol. 358 Issue 9, Ten Years of Exploring... p9
Reports on the partnership between Discovery Channel and documentary film producers. Benefits of the genre for cable networks; Comments from film producer Neal Williams; Degree of autonomy offered to the filmmaker. INSET: Producer's view (Comments by Bill Hayes), by Penny Pagano..
- in the news. // Variety;8/23/2010, Vol. 420 Issue 2, p2
News briefs on mass media are presented including a settlement of a class action lawsuit by the Screen Actors Guild, an agreement by Discovery Communications to provide additional financing for the Oprah Winfrey Network cable television network and a joint venture between CBS Studios...
- SONY'S OVER & OUT. Mathur, Ari // Daily Variety;5/14/2002, Vol. 275 Issue 53, p8
Reports the withdrawal of Sony Entertainment Television from the Indian film production business. Elimination of funding a Hindi-language movie projects; Relation of rolling out several projects; Focus on distribution market.
- Capital allowances -- film industry favoured. // Accountancy;Jul1984, Vol. 95 Issue 1091, p21
Reports that the film and cable television industries can claim an accelerated depreciation allowance in their expenditure on producing master films in the first year in Great Britain.
- ITV pumps $ into Brit pix. Dawtrey, Adam // Variety;7/22/96, Vol. 363 Issue 11, p15
Reports on British television network ITV's plan to invest in motion picture production. Reasons for the network's decision to finance movie production.