Smoke and Mirrors?
- NATO, Altria Examine State Tobacco Taxes. Zid, Linda Abu-Shalback // CSP;Jun2011, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p32
The article discusses two important trends in the state tobacco taxation in the U.S. in 2011. The first trend is the implementation of the dollar standard in which around two-thirds of the 22 U.S. states consider the taxation of 1 U.S. dollar for every pack of cigarette. The other trend is the...
- Filthy Habit. Lofstock, John // Convenience Store News;5/5/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p21
Under the guise of public safety, state politicians in the U.S. are becoming addicted to tobacco taxes. When Arizona sued cigarette makers in 1996, the state described the pernicious effects of smoking: &ldquo.Tobacco products are not only addictive, they are abnormally dangerous and unfit for...
- Cigarette Smuggling: Information on Interstate and U.S.-Canadian Activity: T-RCED-98-182. // GAO Reports;5/4/1998, p1
Smuggling cigarettes from low- to high-tax states, which was prominent in the 1970s, may be a reemerging problem because a number of states have sharply increased cigarette taxes while low-tax states have not. Recent estimates suggest that smuggling has cost states hundreds of millions of...
- Smoke and mirrors: how Massachusetts diverted millions in tobacco tax revenues. Ritch, Wendy A.; Begay, Michael E. // Tobacco Control;Dec2001, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p309
Objective-This study examines the polities of appropriating Question 1 tobacco tax revenues in the first budget year after Massachusetts voters passed the ballot initiative in 1992. The initiative increased the tobacco tax on cigarettes by 25 cents per pack and on smokeless tobacco by 25% of the...
- Taxing Tobacco. // State Legislatures;Mar2010, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p7
The article reports on the increase in taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products around the U.S.
- NY begins tax collections on Indian cigarettes. Gormley, Michael // Native American Times;7/22/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p1
The article reports on the renewed effort of New York to collect taxes on the tobacco products and cigarettes sold by Native American companies in July 2011, which led to seizures of untaxed tobacco products outside Indian land worth 1.2 million U.S. dollars.
- Tobacco Tax Hike Takes Steps Toward Passing. Williams, Walt // State Journal (WV);2/25/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p7
The article reports on the proposed state tax hike for cigarettes and other tobacco products in 2011 in West Virginia.
- Tax Idiocy 101. // Forbes Global;6/23/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 13, p13
Comments on the increase in cigarette taxes in New York City. Results of the increasing cigarette tax; Information on the experience of Canada in increasing cigarette tax in early 1990; Information on Colorado's spending policy.
- Trends and affordability of cigarette prices: ample room for tax Increases and related health gains. Guindon, G. E.; Tobin, S.; Yach, D. // Tobacco Control;Mar2002, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p35
Background: Increasing the price of tobacco products is arguably the most effective method of curbing the prevalence and consumption of tobacco products. Price increases would reduce the global burden of disease brought about by tobacco consumption. Objectives: To compare cigarette price data...