New life for old tires in Iowa landfill
- Colorado Scrap Tire Bill Gets Mixed Reviews. // Solid Waste Report;5/23/2012, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p6
The article reports on a scrap tire bill passed into law on May 2, 2012 by the Colorado legislature. It states that with the HB1034 law, reimbursement for the scrap tire processors will be withheld until they have used the tires to make products or sold it to end-users. Change was prompted by...
- Who should pick up the bill after EU landfill ban? Raleigh, Patrick // European Rubber Journal;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 184 Issue 7/8, p12
Discusses the actions taken by the British government to comply with European Union regulations banning the use of landfills for the disposal of scrap tires in Great Britain. Details of proposed alternative means of disposing scrap tires; Advantages of the voluntary approach; Information on the...
- Ontario Tire Stewardship Has New Plan for 12 Million Used Tires Generated Annually. // Solid Waste Report;4/23/2009, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p4
The article discusses the used tire program of the Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS), an organization incorporated under Ontario's Waste Diversion Act. It states that the plan, which starts September 1, 2009, will supervise all tires sold in Ontario and will be redirected away from burning and...
- European Tire Recycling Technology Comes to Texas. // Solid Waste Report;7/13/2012, Vol. 43 Issue 12, p3
The article reports that Harlingen, Texas-based facility Tire Recycling and Processing is utilizing technology imported from Europe which is capable of recycling the whole tire into biofuel and steel instead of burying them in landfills.
- Tyre chewer leaves useful crumbs. // Ecos;Oct2011, Issue 164, p1
The article reports on the tyre technology that decrease of number of tyres being sent to landfill or illegally dumped in Australia. It notes that more than 20 million used tyres are being disposed in Australia alone each year and less than a quarter only is being recovered and recycled. It...
- CALIFORNIA WILL USE TIRE SHREDS AS EMBANKMENT FILL IN PILOT JOB. Rosenbaum, David B. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;7/9/2001, Vol. 247 Issue 2, p18
Reports on the plans of California to use thousands of tires as filling material in a freeway embankment pilot project. Cost of shredded passenger vehicle tires; Potential savings from using shredded tires; Risks of using shredded tires; Applicability of scrap tires and shreds.
- It's all bollards. // Builders Merchants Journal;Dec2005, p10
This article reports that the manufacturer of bollards, Bollards International Ltd., is producing its full range of street furniture by developing a material using the rubber crumb from its regenerated tyres. The bollards are more crack-resistant than their metal counterparts and these are...
- Negligent neighbor. Wiley, Walt // Waste News;11/22/99, Vol. 5 Issue 28, p14
Reports that the California Integrated Waste Management Board has started cleaning up a tire pile within five miles from its Rancho Cordova office. Number of tires at the White Rock Road pile; Use of the site as a landfill; Amount of lien imposed on the property for the cleanup.
- Tender for Purchase, On-Site Processing and Removal of Used Tyres from Cayman Islands' Landfill Sites. // Waste Age Expert Blog;10/6/2011, p2
The article presents a tender from the Government of the Cayman Islands inviting interested contractors regarding the purchase, on-site processing and removal of used tyres from its three landfill sites in Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. It includes brief information on project...