Chicago lawyers delay action on pay-to-play
- N.Y. bar group task force calls for contribution disclosure for lawyers. Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;12/09/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30536, p1
Highlights the recommendation of a New York State Bar Association task force that all lawyers qualified to practice in the state be required to disclose any contributions that they or their firms make to political candidates and parties. Disclosure of contributions to the state's Office of...
- Ending Pay to Play: What are the ethics issues when lawyers contribute to political campaigns? Henderson, Ky // Human Rights;Winter98, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p20
This article provides information on the American Bar Association's (ABA) new blue-ribbon task force, Task Force Pay to Play. ABA President Jerome J. Shestack appointed this blue ribbon task force to study ethical issues created when lawyers contribute to political campaigns. The Task Force on...
- Giving ban opposition. Furman, Phyllis; Lentz, Philip // Crain's New York Business;9/11/95, Vol. 11 Issue 37, p6
Reports on the New York Bar Association's efforts to ban bond lawyers from making campaign contributions to politicians who give bond advisory assignments. Objections to the efforts; Planned discussion of the issue by the American Bar Association.
- Bar seeks end to bonding. Furman, Phyllis; Lentz, Philip // Crain's New York Business;7/29/96, Vol. 12 Issue 31, p6
Reports on the New York City Bar Association's proposal to ban bond lawyers from making campaign contributions to politicians with whom they do business.
- Chicago bar group considers softened version of pay-to-play rule. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;04/08/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30615, p3
Reports that the Illinois-based Chicago Bar Association is considering a proposed regulation regarding lawyers' campaign contribution. Provisions of the proposed regulation.
- Chicago Bar Group to Consider Proposal Curbing Pay-to-Play. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;12/22/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30545, p1
Focuses on the proposal introduced at the Chicago Bar Association which will make limitations on Illinois lawyers on campaign contributions to elected officials they do business with. Features of the call made by the American Bar Association for states to restrict political contributions by...
- Seeking a fix for election law. Carter, Terry // ABA Journal;Dec97, Vol. 83 Issue 12, p92
Discusses the reform plans of American Bar Association (ABA) Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Section panelist on campaign finance and the effect of First Amendment on reform. Comment of Thomas J. Josefiak Federal Election Commission on the campaign finance; Details on the Buckley...
- Vermont treasurer asks for ban on lawyer contributions. Kaplan, David // Bond Buyer;07/30/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30446, p3
Focuses on the proposal of Vermont Treasurer James Douglas to ban lawyers from making contributions to political campaigns in the United States. Basis of Douglas' suggestion.
- Attorneys' rising political clout. Bates, Steve // Nation's Business;Feb98, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p19
Reports on an increasing trend of lawyers who contribute large amounts of money to the campaign funds of political candidates. Concerns over the ethical nature of this; The unknown amount of money donated; Percentage of contributions which come from trial lawyers; Fears about being sued;...