THE SIREN SONG OF SPENDING
- EvaluaciÃ³n de la estructura de la deuda pÃºblica de MÃ©xico, 1980-2008. Cotera, Daniel Vázquez // AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico;2010, Vol. 25 Issue 58, p77
This paper estimates the optimal mix of internal and external public debt that the Mexican government should currently have. The estimation follows Miller's methodology, where the relative sizes of the total public debt and the monetary base, the variances of the real exchange rate, the internal...
- IMF Unlocks Funding For Romania. // Emerging Markets Monitor;9/2/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 20, p15
Reports on the decision of the International Monetary Fund to award Romania with a double tranche of financing from its stand-by agreement with the country. Amount of the financing deal; Target budget deficit of the country for 2003; Implication of the financing deal for its external debt.
- Holding Off On Rate Hike? // Latin America Monitor: Southern Cone Monitor;Dec2003, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p5
Presents information on the August 2003 International Monetary Fund country report for Chile. Inflation forecast for the year; Increase in value-added tax rate; Decline in current account surplus; Total external debt.
- IMF warns on spending. Skeffington, Robert; Heatcote, Andrew; Roberts, Craig // BRW;11/18/2004, Vol. 26 Issue 45, p81
Reports on the warning given by the International Monetary Fund on the effect of pre-election spending spree on monetary policy implementation in Australia.
- IMF Delays Zimbabwe Decision. // Emerging Markets Monitor;2/21/2005, Vol. 10 Issue 43, p17
Reports on the move of the International Monetary Fund to postpone its decision concerning the membership of Zimbabwe in the Fund in February 2005. Efforts of the Zimbabwean government to reduce the inflation rate in the country; Improvement in bank supervision in the nation; Comments on the...
- Algeria. // Africa Report;May/Jun95, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p12
Reports on a credit agreement between the Algerian government and the International Monetary Fund in March 1995.
- Funding: IMF RETHINKS STRONG-ARM LENDING. // African Business;Nov2002, Issue 281, p8
Reports on the easing of conditions imposed on indebted countries in Africa by the International Monetary Fund.
- IMF Spells Out New National Debt Plans. // Credit Control;2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p26
Reports on the International Monetary Fund's announcement of its proposals for a revised international legal procedure enabling countries to suspend debt repayments while they negotiate more manageable terms. Intention to deal with crisis faced by national governments in repaying debts owed to...
- The Politics of Hard Choices: IMF Programs and Government Spending. Nooruddin, Irfan; Simmons, Joel W. // International Organization;Fall2006, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p1001
A central component of International Monetary Fund (IMF) programs is reducing government budget deficits. We ask how domestic political considerations shape the distribution of cuts made by governments in IMF programs. Our central finding is that IMF programs shrink the role played by domestic...