Hedgies Look for New Convert Plays
- Weak Rebound In Convertible Arbitrage Comes Too Late For Many. // Emerging Markets Monitor;3/6/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 45, p7
Reports on the decline of the worldwide popularity of convertible arbitrage, an investment strategy which focuses on convertible bonds. Annual returns of hedge funds in 2003; Factor that made convertible arbitrage one of the most popular hedge fund strategies; Increase in European hedge funds.
- Lipper: Hedge Fund Assets Up 2.5%. Ackermann, Matt // American Banker;8/30/2007, Vol. 172 Issue 168, p11
The article reports that, according to the Lipper Tass database, hedge fund assets enjoyed a 2.5% increase during the second quarter of 2007. Long-short equity funds and event-driven funds increased by $14.9 billion and $12.2 billion, respectively. Multistrategy funds grew by $6.1 billion....
- Hedge Fund Closings Taper Off. Ackermann, Matt // American Banker;6/19/2009, Vol. 174 Issue 117, p5
The article discusses a decline in the incidence of hedge-fund closings. During the first quarter of 2009, 376 funds shut down, compared to the 778 funds that discontinued operations in the fourth quarter of 2008. However, funds of funds continued to be liquidated at an increasing rate, with...
- FUNDS of FUNDS. O'Hara, Neil // On Wall Street;Feb2006, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p37
The article presents information on hedge fund products in the U.S. It discusses the proliferation of funds of hedge funds. It assesses the market performance of hedge funds during the 2002-2003 bear market. It compares hedge funds with mutual funds based on reporting requirements. It describes...
- Hedge funds: the missing piece of your portfolio. Keown, Deirdre // Money Management;8/18/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 30, p26
Focuses on the factors to be considered in using a hedge fund-of-funds in client portfolios. Responsibility of hedge fund-of-funds to understand all of the strategies used in the fund; Importance of the understanding the effect of hedge fund-of-funds on the rest of the client's portfolio; Higher...
- Hedge fund sceptics are at it again -- thankfully. McCormick, Dominic // Money Management;4/8/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p16
Discusses criticism directed at hedge funds in Australia. Inherent problems in hedge fund performance data; Attractiveness of hedge funds from a risk/return perspective; Point-by-point response to criticism of hedge funds.
- Investors Demand Better Governance from Hedge Funds and Alternatives. Thomas, Charlie // AiCIO News;2013, p1
Research from Carne Group finds 95% of investors want a global code of governance to be introduced.
- HEDGE: FUNDS ON THE REBOUND. Searle, Jane // BRW;11/15/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 45, p24
The article reports that hedge funds in Australia expect continuing volatility to provide dividends in spite of the shake-up caused by the sub-prime lending crisis in the U.S. The author believes that more volatility is certain but hedge funds have an incentive to take risks and profit from...
- BlackRock Fund to Widen Hedge Access. Ackermann, Matt // American Banker;12/14/2009, Vol. 174 Issue 221, p10
The article reports that the investment firm BlackRock Inc. planned to introduce a mutual fund which would give moderately wealthy investors better access to hedge funds. Called the BlackRock Core Alternatives Portfolio, the fund would enable a $50,000 investment in hedge funds which typically...