Schwarzenegger, Breaking Ranks With GOP, Backs Stem Cell Bonds
- The Brawl in California. Steptoe, Sonja // Time;8/7/2006, Vol. 168 Issue 6, p48
This article describes California's response to President George W. Bush's veto of a stem cell research bill. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger made a $150 million loan to the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, but legal challenges from religious and taxpayer groups opposed...
- California Makes $150M Stem Cell Loan. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/21/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32428, p4
The article reports that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has authorized a $150 million general fund loan to the state's stem cell research institute. The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine was established in 2004 after voters approved a ballot measure authorizing $3 billion...
- STEPPING UP FOR STEM CELLS. Streisand, Betsy; Boyce, Nell // U.S. News & World Report;11/15/2004, Vol. 137 Issue 17, p64
Reports on the passing of California's Proposition 71, committing $3 billion in funding to stem cell research. Support of proposition by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, the late Christopher Reeves, and actor Michael J. Fox; Promise of stem cell research towards finding cures to many...
- California's bailout plea. Keene, David // Hill;1/12/2010, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p15
In this article the author discusses the failure of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to end the big expenditures and taxes in the state.
- News In brief. // Nature Medicine;Nov2006, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p1226
The article offers medical news briefs. Members of the US Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee approve acting Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Andrew von Eschenbach to permanently head the agency. German researchers report that stem cells harvested from an...
- Schwarzenegger endorses stem-cell push. Knight, Jonathan // Nature;10/21/2004, Vol. 431 Issue 7011, p888
Reports on California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's support to the state's ballot initiative to fund embryonic stem-cell research. Endorsements from newspapers and public figures; Controversy concerning the measure, known as Proposition 71.
- California Voters Approve Stem Cell Funding. // BioPharm International;Dec2004, Vol. 17 Issue 12, p10
The article discusses approval of California voters for stem cell funding. On November 2, 2004 California voters approved Proposition 71, under which US dollar 3 billion in state financed bonds will be used to provide funding for therapeutic stem cell research at both private and public...
- California's Schwarzenegger Signs $189B Spending Plan for Fiscal '07. Cohen, Jackie // Bond Buyer;7/3/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32415, p6
The article reports on the approval of California's spending plan for fiscal year 2007 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in time for the constitutional deadline on July 1, 2006. The budget includes an estimated $4.2 billion of debt service on the state's general obligation and lease revenue...
- Deadlocks and Mindsets. Campbell, John // Orange County Business Journal;12/15/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 50, p43
Comments on the request of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for a bond issue and a spending limit in California. Petition for real workers' compensation reform; Support of the Republican Assembly to the governor's request; Opposition of Democratic Senator John Burton on governor's proposal.