Rumors of Divx's death: Greatly exaggerated?
- Even with some studios committed, Divx faces a lengthy uphill fight. Goldstein, Seth // Billboard;09/27/97, Vol. 109 Issue 39, p87
Focuses on Digital Video Express, the joint venture of Circuit City Stores and the Ziffren Brittenham law firm, and its work to find studio support for Divx. Divx as a digital versatile disk (DVD) variant; How much Digital Video Express spent to have Disney to commit to Divx; Reaction of DVD...
- Emerging formats Divx, DVD face off at Kagan discussion. Fitzpatrick, Eileen // Billboard;11/29/97, Vol. 109 Issue 48, p61
Reports on the `Motion Picture Production & Finance' session at the Kagan Seminars, held in Los Angeles, California in November 1997. Divx technology, as explained by Paul Brindze, president of Divx Entertainment; His dismissal of a format war with DVD technology; Forecasts for growth in the...
- The one to watch. Fox, Barry // New Scientist;09/27/97, Vol. 155 Issue 2101, p7
Reports on the efforts of the Digital Video Express (Divx) consortium to replace video tapes with two-day Digital Video Discs (DVD). Encryption of content as protection from piracy; Manufacture of Divx players; Commitment of Hollywood studios to the format.
- DIVX redux. Parker, Dana J. // EMedia;Sep99, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p88
Probes into the failure of Digital Video Express' Divx format. Key elements of Divx; Claims of Divx detractors; Information on the Divx versus digital video disc (DVD) controversy.
- DVE touts convenience in ads for Divx launch. Elkin, Tobi // Brandweek;04/13/98, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p5
Reports on how Digital Video Express (DVE) will position the Divx video format at the store. Promotional support to the launch of Divx; Information on the advertisements developed by Arnold Communications for Divx; Issues that will be addressed by the campaign.
- Divx will adhere to studios' street date. Fitzpatrick, Eileen // Billboard;11/29/97, Vol. 109 Issue 48, p63
Presents news for November 29, 1997 concerning the video recording market. Comments from Paul Brindze, president of Divx Entertainment, denying an early release for Divx titles; Developers of the Divx project; How the technology works; DVD champions not backing Divx; January 18, 1998 release of...
- Divx debuts at CES. // Discount Store News;1/26/98, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p31
Presents information about the debut of Divx, a video rental and sales company, developed by Digital Video Express. Sales of special digitally encrypted DVDs as the premise behind Divx; Details on Divx; Response of CE and software manufacturers on the announcement of Divx format.
- DVD vs Divx: The debate endures. Reece, Doug // Billboard;02/28/98, Vol. 110 Issue 9, p63
Reports on the Digital Entertainment Summit held in February 1998 where the debate between digital video disk (DVD) technology and Divx technology was the main topic. Limitations of Divx technology; Increased sales of DVD in consumer markets; The need for recordable DVD and a lower price for...
- Writing the Digital Video Express. Nathans, Stephen F. // EMedia Professional;Sep98, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p6
Focuses on the release of Divx digital video disc from Digital Video Express. Zenith as the first company that supported the disc; Potential implications to the video home market.