The litigation ledger
- Libraries to Benefit from CD Price-Fixing Settlement. G.F. // American Libraries;Nov2002, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p22
Reports that libraries will benefit from a settlement of a class-action lawsuit over price-fixing by major record labels and music retailers in the U.S. Agreement of the companies to give state organizations 5.5 million compact discs (CDs) to distribute to schools, libraries, and other...
- Dear Lawyer: If you decide it's not economical to represent me, you can fire me as your contingent fee client, but I agree I will still owe you a fee. Hricik, David // Mercer Law Review;Winter2013, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p363
The article discusses concerns related to contingent fee arrangements related to attorney services in the U.S. It provides information that contingent fees have been utilized in various purposes such as class actions, complex commercial litigation, and patent infringement suits. It emphasizes...
- Barnes & Noble Wraps Up Two Lawsuits. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;12/12/2005, Vol. 252 Issue 49, p13
The article reports on the settlement of a patent lawsuit by Barnes & Noble in December 2005. The publisher is poised to settle a second lawsuit stemming from a class action on behalf of certain California employees who were improperly classified by the publisher and would have been entitled to...
- Microtune Settles Class Action Suit, Appoints VP. // Electronic News;12/6/2004, Vol. 50 Issue 49, pN.PAG
Presents updates on issues and events concerning Plano, Texas-based Microtune Inc. as of December 2004. Settlement of a securities related class action law suit pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas; Settlement of a patent and antitrust litigation with Broadcom in...
- Business Briefs. // RCR Wireless News;6/13/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 24, p16
Presents news briefs on the wireless telecommunication industry in the U.S. as of June 2005. Decision of Boston Communications Group Inc. to contest a class action suit brought by shareholders in its patent-infringement verdict; Shelf registration statement filed by Global Signal Inc. with the...
- Apple's Legal Troubles. // Macworld;Apr2007, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p17
The article focuses on various lawsuits filed against the company Apple Inc. The firm Burst.com Inc. filed a lawsuit against Apple. It claimed that the iTunes software, iPod devices and other software products manufactured by Apple are all affected by the patents. It accused the company of...
- Furnace makers target plastic vent pipe failures. Mader, Robert P. // Contractor Magazine;Jun97, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p1
Reports on a lawsuit filed in Massachusetts against several manufacturers of plastic vent pipes by a number of furnace makers. Furnace manufacturers' claims against the manufacturers of these pipes; Charges of the lawsuit.
- Courts Challenged On Approval Of Class Action Suit Certifications Despite Geographic Diversities. // Insurance Advocate;3/31/2003, Vol. 114 Issue 13, p20
Reports on the efforts of Washington Legal Foundation to induce the Oklahoma Supreme Court to limit the certification of class action lawsuits despite geographic diversities. Application of the Michigan Law; Avoidance of the trial judge in unmanageability problem.
- `Sprawling' asbestos class loses certification. Goodman III, William F. // Defense Counsel Journal;Oct97, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p633
Discusses class actions on asbestos litigation under Rule 23. Requisites of Rule 23; Implications of the over-all tone of Justice Ginsburg's opinion; Heightening of the settlements standard.