URBAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS' KNOWLEDGE OF ALCOHOL AND DRINKING
- Alcohol and other drug use at a university in the Southeastern United States: Survey findings and... Syre, Thomas R.; Martino-McAllister, Jeanne M. // College Student Journal;Sep97, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p373
Reports on the result of a study on the alcohol and other drug (AOD) use of students enrolled in an undergraduate university in the southeastern United States. Use of AOD at James Madison University; Four assumptions which serve as a foundation for AOD health education and prevention programs...
- Rite of passage? Wrong. // Christian Science Monitor;5/16/97, Vol. 89 Issue 120, p20
Discusses the behavior of college students every spring at campuses across the United States (U.S.) at the end of examinations. Widespread use of alcohol by students; Reference made to an incident at the University of Colorado in Boulder.
- Patterns, problems and attitudes towards alcohol consumption among Micronesian college students. Saleh, Mahmoud A. // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Sep94, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p267
Presents a study of alcohol consumption of students in a Micronesian university. Drinking patterns; Factors associated with alcohol consumption; Problems related to alcohol consumption; Comparison of the alcohol consumption of ethnic Micronesians and Micronesian students.
- Battle of the binge. Watkins, Carolyn // Food Management;Feb98, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the controversies involving on-campus pubs that may end off-campus booze binges. Finalization of changes on alcohol policies and procedures at the Duke University in Durnham, North Carolina; Schools' search for alternative ways to control alcohol consumption; Experimentation with the...
- The curse of the drinking class. Marty, Martin E. // Christian Century;2/22/95, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p223
Focuses on the attitudes of American college students towards alcoholism. Increase in health consciousness; Improvement of law enforcement against drunk drivers; Role of peer pressure in decreasing alcoholism; Figures on binge drinking in campuses.
- Changing the Attitudes That Predict Underage Drinking in College Students: A Program Evaluation. Williams, David J.; Thomas, Adrian; Buboltz Jr., Walter C.; McKinney, Maibel // Journal of College Counseling;Spring2002, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p39
Identifies several attitudes predicting binge drinking in the campus. Classroom intervention to self-reported attitude change among university students; Usefulness of interventions to college counselors; Perceptions of alcohol use to decrease the prevalence of binge drinking.
- A Preliminary Investigation of College Students' Alcohol Consumption at Two Universities With Limited Greek Systems. Juhnke, Gerald A.; Schroat, David A.; Cashwell, Craig S.; Gmutza, Brian M. // Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling;Oct2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p35
At 2 moderately sized, public, urban universities with limited Greek systems, 1,246 college students completed the CORE Survey (C. A. Presley, R. Harrold, E. Scouten, R. Lyerla, & P. W. Meilman, 1994). Serious alcohol-related behaviors and concerns were noted. Implications of findings and...
- Drinking by college students harms, ends thousands of lives each year. // Nation's Health;Jun/Jul2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p20
Focuses on a study which revealed the number of students that died a year because of college drinking. Findings of a study published in the March issue of the 'Journal of Studies on Alcohol'; Comments from Ralph Hingson, lead study author, on the harm that college students do to themselves and...
- A survey of alcohol and other drug use practices among college students. Haberman, Shirley E. // Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education;Winter94, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p85
Studies actual alcohol and other drug using patterns of students enrolled at an urban mid-Atlantic United States university. Alcohol as the primary drug of choice; Problematic drinking patterns among alcohol drinkers; Perceptions of students on their alcohol problems; Recommendations for alcohol...
- Alcohol consumption patterns among undergraduates: The impact of family income. Crawford, Catherine M. // Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education;Spring95, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p1
Presents the results of an analysis of alcohol consumption patterns based on a survey of 995 randomly chosen undergraduate students at a research university in New York. Relationship between alcohol consumption and student characteristics; Significant differences between proportions of males...