Circular 230 Violators Now Face Fines
- Comments on the Penalty and Interest Study. // Tax Executive;May/Jun99, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p267
Presents the comments submitted by the Tax Executives Institute Inc. (TEI) to the Joint Committee on Taxation and Internal Revenue Service regarding penalty and interest issues in the United States corporate taxation system. Background on TEI; Discussion on the penalty provisions of the...
- IRS aims high. Russell, Roger // Accounting Today;5/1/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p1
Reports on the efforts of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to intensify its investigations of high-profile accountants and lawyers who do not file their taxes in May 2006. Remarks from Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division Kathryn Keneally on the plans of the agency;...
- Tax preparer penalties and client conflicts. Hammer, Seth // CPA Journal;Jan1996, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p38
Presents information on the rules which determine tax payer and tax preparer penalties and why they create conflict. Effects of amendments to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Circular; Identification of rules; Background on IRS Circular 230; Requirements that must be met by taxpayer...
- Tax Shelter Penalty. // Practical Accountant;Apr2002, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the opportunity for taxpayer to voluntarily disclose tax items on tax returns to avoid penalty by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Schedule of the deadline for the disclosure; Exclusions to the initiatives; Decrease of federal tax prosecutions.
- More time to file your return. Block, Julian // Northern New Jersey Business;4/5/95, Vol. 3 Issue 7, p20
Advises on how to avoid late-filing penalty for taxes imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. Four-month extension of tax filing through Form 4868; Waiver of late-filing penalties with the submission of Form 4868; Submission deadline for Form 4868; Schedule of installment plans through Form...
- Review withholdings. // National Public Accountant;Apr94, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p15
Reports on penalties enforced by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for failure to pay the correct amount of taxes. Modification of `100 percent safe harbor' rule; Historical payments rule no longer applicable to those annually earning more than $150,000 per tax year.
- Denial of waiver of penalties must be explained. // Practical Accountant;Mar95, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p13
Reports on the ruling of the US Tax Court concerning the right of the Internal Revenue Service to issue a supplementary notice of deficiency following a request for a waiver of a 25 percent penalty it assessed.
- Final accuracy-related penalty regs. // Practical Accountant;Oct95, Vol. 28 Issue 10, p18
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service has issued final regulations (TD 8617) that implement changes to the accuracy-related penalty under Section 6662 made by 1993 legislation and the GATT Act. When a taxpayer may rely upon the advice of others as evidence of reasonable cause and good faith...
- IRS to Add More VCAP Standards. JAGODA, NAOMI // Bond Buyer;9/23/2013, Vol. 385 Issue 33983, p1
The article informs that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service has planned to release more streamlined resolution standards in October 2013 that levy penalties for certain types of bond-related tax violations and standards will become part of Section 7.2.3 of the Internal Revenue Manual.