CABLE, DBS REACT WITH SKEPTICISM; OTHER BABY BELLS WILL WAIT AND SEE
- Murdoch's Star is on the rise. Magee, Michelle // Variety;4/8/96, Vol. 362 Issue 10, p41
Reports that Rupert Murdoch's Star TV officially launched in Japan, its Star Plus Japan broadcast channel. Comments from Gary Davey, chief executive officer (CEO) and president of Star TV; Japan's cable and satellite markets; Percentage of Japanese that subscribe for cable; John McBride, Star...
- Draw your sabres. Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2001, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p22
Discusses the impact of cable television on satellite broadcasting in Europe. Principal direct-to-home satellite operators in the region; Information on the crisis facing the cable industry; Reason for the reluctance of telecommunication operators to adopt the digital subscriber line technology.
- Packaging Power Shifts. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;3/14/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p44
Focuses on the efforts of direct-broadcast satellite (DBS) providers and telephone companies in meeting the challenges posed by cable television networks in the U.S., as of March 2005. Benefits of teaming up with local telephone companies for the business of EchoStar and DirecTV; Forecast on...
- Rupert's bird dogs cable. Peers, Martin; Levin, Gary // Variety;03/03/97, Vol. 366 Issue 5, p57
Looks at the challenges facing News Corp. chairman Rupert Murdoch's plans to establish satellite television service as a viable competitor against cable operators. Broadcasters' support for added competition for cable from satellite television; Small fraction of market share held by satellite...
- Audience appeal. // Total Telecom Magazine;Feb2006 Supplement, p9
The article reports on the emergence of France as a leader in the uptake of television over digital subscriber lines. By the end of 2005, Free claimed 159,000 subscribers to its pay-television services, and France Telecom claims 180,000 subscribers. They plan to add high-definition television...
- Sensing Angst Behind the Confidence. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;12/1/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 48, p3A
Uncovers the challenges faced by cable operators in the U.S. in 2004. Price dispute with digital subscriber lin providers; Competition posed by direct broadcast satellite operators; Market outlook for high definition television.
- Cable rates' endless rise. // Consumer Reports;May2009, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p5
This article discusses the continuous annual increase in cable television rates. According to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, cable rates have climbed 122 percent since 1995. Since most areas are serviced by only one cable company, there is no competition to keep the rates lower....
- Hawaiian Crunch. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;10/10/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 41, p15
Presents an update on the status of cable television penetration in Hawaii, as of October 10, 2005. Comparison of the percentage of households subscribing between cable and satellite television; Sale of the phone business of Verizon Communications Inc. to local operator Hawaiian Telecom Inc.
- FiOS TV'S $50 FACTOR. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;5/2/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 18, p1
Reports on the plan of Verizon Communications Inc. to offer low-priced programming packages among its cable and satellite subscribers for its FiOS television (TV) service in May 2005. Services included in the programming package to be offered by the company; Remarks from Verizon spokesman Mark...