NEWS IN BRIEF
- Sectoral Reallocation and Unemployment. Valletta, Rob; Cleary, Aisling // FRBSF Economic Letter;10/17/2008, Vol. 2008 Issue 32, p1
The article discusses the cause of the increase in unemployment in the U.S. in 2008. One economist points out that one factor that contributes to the situation is the structural imbalances in the economy that require substantial movements of workers across industry sectors. Additionally, he...
- Summertime outlook is less lackluster than it has been the past 20 months. Thredgold, Jeff // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;6/23/2003, Vol. 32 Issue 52, p11
Presents economic forecasts for the U.S. in 2003. Optimism about the overall U.S. economy; Outlook on unemployment and job creation; Forecast on inflation.
- IN BRIEF. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;8/18/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32448, p2
The article reports on news items concerning the U.S. economy and bond market as of August 18, 2006. U.S. Labor Department data has showed that first-time applications for state unemployment benefits declined 10,000 to 312,000 in the week ended August 12, 2006. The Conference Board reported that...
- Non-Farm Payrolls Up 132,000 in November. Smith, Nicole M. // Bond Buyer;12/11/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32525, p2
The article reports on the increase in non-farm payrolls to 132,000 in the U.S. in November 2006. The increase coincides with the growth in the unemployment rate to 4.5 percent. On the other hand, wages rose by 0.2 percent or 3 cents during the month. Moreover, average weekly earnings grew by...
- Unemployment Dips; Payrolls Up 169,000. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;9/6/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32211, p2
Reports on the increase in non-farm payrolls in the U.S. Detection of the decline in unemployment rates in the country; Growth of wages of employees; Number of jobs created in the goods-producing industries; Losses of jobs in the manufacturing sector.
- How to Make MONEY 2006. Regnier, Pat // Money;Dec2005, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p99
The article examines the U.S. economy as it heads into 2006. Low expectations can create opportunity, especially if you are looking for reasonably priced stocks. In 2006, be optimistic enough to seize opportunity. Keep an eye on energy prices, inflation, real estate values and the stock market....
- Economic Ills. Stein, Lisa // U.S. News & World Report;8/12/2002, Vol. 133 Issue 6, p12
Discusses economic conditions in the U.S. as of August, 2002. Slow recovery following the recession; Growth in unemployment; Reduction in consumer spending; Concern about a double dip recession.
- The Big News That We Miss. Samuelson, Robert J. // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);8/8/2005 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 146 Issue 6, p39
Presents the author's view that the control of inflation for the past 20 years by the U.S. Federal Reserve Board is a big news story that is mostly ignored. Description of statistics such as the consumer price index and unemployment rates which verify the writer's claim; Comments from economists...
- Venus, Finding Home Series. Benjamin, Siona // Femspec;2004, Vol. 4 Issue 2, Preceding p1
Presents the painting "Venus, Finding Home Series," by Siona Benjamin.