- Fire Service Management: A Renewed Perspective. Hyden, Tim // Fire Engineering;Aug2012, Vol. 165 Issue 8, p89
In this article the author discusses fire service management. He argues that the U.S. fire service needs to conduct its business more efficiently. He adds that those changes may disrupt the comfort level of some firefighters, but that many changes that are occurring within the U.S. fire service...
- IAFC report on transition in fire departments available on Web site. // Fire Engineering;Mar2006, Vol. 159 Issue 3, p62
The article reports on the Red Ribbon Reports released by the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Volunteers and Combination Officers Section (VCOS) titled "Lighting the Path of Evolution, Leading the Transition in Volunteer and Combination Fire Departments. The report, which was...
- Diversity Should Be Management's Priority, Not Just Labor's, IAFF Rep Says (with Related Video). Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;1/19/2012, p2
The article reports on the importance of diversity in the fire department according to Pat Morrison, assistant to the general president for education and training at the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF). Morrison says recruitment of qualified candidates within a diverse...
- More Change Lessons. BRUNACINI, ALAN // Fire Engineering;Mar2009, Vol. 162 Issue 3, p192
The author discusses the context of how firefighters in the U.S. adapt to the basic culture of their department which poses a challenge to fire service change. He says that the strongest asset of firefighters lies on their basic firefighing problem-solving spirit. He explains the role of...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.
- MANAGING THE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2001, Vol. 154 Issue 9, p39
Focuses on the ways in managing probationary firefighters. Upgrading of a firefighter; Obligations of the fire department on recruited firefighters; Orientation period of recruited firefighters.
- HEY, I'M STILL ASKING! Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p144
Discusses issues concerning the tactics of fire departments. Importance of a roll call for on-duty firefighters; Preparedness of the staff in a fire department; Duties and responsibilities of a fire personnel.