DOUBLE -- WIDE DILEMMA
- Multiroom Fires in Residential occupancies. Wood, David // Fire Engineering;Sep99, Vol. 152 Issue 9, p63
Focuses on multiroom fires in residences as the real test of fire fighters to perform their primary duty of protecting human lives from fire. Need for coordination, determination and training; Aggressive interior attack with initial handling; Attack's coordination with the primary ladder...
- Three sides to the 1-story. Loeb, Donald L. // Fire Chief;Jun2003, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p60
Cites three key areas in one-story frame dwellings where fire can occur, and strategies for dealing with them. Frequency of events in these areas; Basement basics; Dwellings built after World War II; Vertical and horizontal ventilation; Laddering.
- Like Clockwork. CIAMPO, MICHAEL N. // Fire Engineering;Jul2013, Vol. 166 Issue 7, p112
The author describes a fire response in an apartment building, noting that his fire company was able to overcome challenges such as a protective sidewalk scaffold, poor smoke visibility, and occupants trapped on a fire escape due to their effective training and experience.
- New Hall Barn, Scarisbrick, Lancashire. Bizley, Graham // Building Design;4/8/2005, Issue 1668, p22
Describes the installation of a domestic sprinkler system at the New Hall Barn in Lancashire, England. Building owner's conversion of the barn into a house; History of the building; Building materials; Layout of the barn; Principle behind domestic sprinkler systems.
- Sprinklers finally soak in. Birch, Amanda // Building Design;4/8/2005, Issue 1668, p23
Reports on the growing popularity in Great Britain of the use of residential fire sprinklers as part of an overall fire protection package. Number of people that die each year in domestic fires in the country; Number of residential properties in the country that have been given sprinkler...
- Fighting a Fast- Spreading Fire. Mason, Jim // Fire Engineering;Nov2007, Vol. 160 Issue 11, p85
The article is an incident report of a fire which occurred in Chicago, Illinois. A description of the apartment building on fire and the location of where the fire started is given. The wind conditions at the time of the fire are mentioned. A description of the decisions made by the fire...
- THE COVER. // Fire Engineering;Jan2014, Vol. 167 Issue 1, p6
A photograph of Taftville, Connecticut firefighters completing vertical ventilation at a fire in a private dwelling is presented.
- ALL FALL DOWN. Kenny, Patrick // Fire Chief;Sep2004, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p72
Describes the response of firefighters to a house fire in a building under construction in Hinsdale, Illinois. Composition of the fire response team; Accident involving one of the firefighters; Lessons on personnel accountability learned from the incident.
- San Marcos house fire leaves two dead. SEVILLA, ANDY // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);1/15/2014, Vol. 115 Issue 42, p1A
The article reports on a fire the destroyed a mobile home in Hays County, Texas on January 7, 2014 which resulted in the death of two middle-aged people.