A Time to Direct, a Time to Support
- 12 commandments for new fire chiefs. Crawford, Brian A. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/13/2012, p2
The article discusses the so-called 12 commandments for newly appointed fire chiefs which include prioritizing service to the citizens, never failing to lead and accepting the fact that they cannot please everyone.
- Those who can, teach. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Jan2003, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p42
Explores factors to be considered by fire chiefs when teaching firefighter students in the U.S. Student focus; Knowledge expectations; Delivery of course materials.
- Do you hear what I hear? Loeb, Donald L. // Fire Chief;Feb2003, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p60
Explores the importance of evacuation signals to protect the lives of firefighters in the U.S. Blowing of apparatus sirens; Importance of wearing appropriate protective gear; Duty of fire chiefs to prevent fireground deaths.
- Mentoring and Coaching for Leadership Development. Smits, Stanley J.; Bowden, Dawn E. // International Leadership Journal;Fall2015, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p83
This viewpoint piece introduces two time-tested stalwarts of leadership development, coaching and mentoring, and a more recent asset, organized peer coaching. We argue the relevance of these developmental technologies in today's "Googlized" world and urge readers to become actively engaged with...
- Mentoring: A case example & guidelines for its effective use. Clark, Eugene // Youth Studies Australia;Winter1995, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p37
Focuses on literature on mentoring and basic guidelines for its effective use. Different contexts of mentoring; Value of mentoring to the institution, the protege and the mentor; Negative values or disadvantages; Mentor functions, qualifications and selection; Three phases of mentoring...
- Mentoring: Perspectives of the Rookie and the Veteran. WARD, BRIAN; RHODES, DAVID // Fire Engineering;Jul2011, Vol. 164 Issue 7, p57
In this article the author offers information on the practice of mentoring in the fire fighting industry. Defined as a relationship between a novice firefighter and an experienced one where the former passes on their knowledge and experience to the latter, he states that many do not avail of all...
- IAFF and IAFC support haz-mat tracking system. // Fire Engineering;Mar2000, Vol. 153 Issue 3, p44
Reports that the International Association of Fire Fighters and the International Association of Fire Chiefs are joining efforts to gain firefighters access to Operation Respond Emergency Information System (OREIS). Contents of the OREIS; Application of the OREIS to firefighters' safety.
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;2012/2013 Directory, p80
The author reflects on initiatives of the Minnesota Board of Firefighter Traning and Education in educating the state, the attitude of the fire service department in rendering extra assignments without additional compensation, and the participation at the 2012 Annual Conference of the Minnesota...
- Fire chiefs expand program for Fire-Rescue International. // Professional Safety;May95, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p66
Reports on the Fire-Rescue International '95 to be held on September 9-13, 1995 in Louisville, Kentucky. International Association of Fire Chiefs as co-sponsor.