Food allergy in irritable bowel syndrome: new facts and old fallacies
- Food Allergy and the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Zwetchkenbaum, John F.; Burakoff, Robert // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Sep1988, Vol. 83 Issue 9, p901
Discusses recent literature on food allergy, and its possible role in the irritable bowel syndrome. Definition of food allergy; Diagnosis of food hypersensitivity; Tests that use food extracts in assessing Immunoglobulin E-mediated food hypersensitivity.
- FOOD ELIMINATION DIETS FOR IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME: A DOUBLE BLIND TRIAL BASED ON IGG ANTIBODIES TO FOOD. Atkinson, W.; Whorwell, P. J.; Sheldon, T. A. // Gut;Apr2004 Supplement 3, Vol. 53, pA4
Many patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are convinced they have some form of food allergy or intolerance and have usually tried a dietary approach to their problem. Immunoglobulin (IgG) E mediated food hypersensitivity does not appear to be commonly associated with symptoms of IBS, but...
- FOOD ALLERGY 'LINK' TO BOWEL PAIN. Berriman, Mark; Fraser, Robert // New Vegetarian & Natural Health;Spring2005, p11
Presents the results of a study suggesting that irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) may be linked to allergic reactions to common foods. Periodical where the study was published; Level of antibodies of IBS patients to wheat, beef and soya beans.
- Food and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. // Total Health;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p38
This article offers information on the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS is characterized by cramps, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. However, IBS does not harm the intestines or result in intestinal bleeding or cancer. It is not fully understood why some people suffer from IBS. As such,...
- Discrepancies Between Reported Food Intolerance and Sensitization Test Findings in Irritable Bowel Syndrome Patients. Dainese, Raffaella; Galliani, Ermenegildo A.; De Lazzari, Franca; Di Leo, Vincenza; Naccarato, Remo // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul1999, Vol. 94 Issue 7, p1892
Reports on the clinical features of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients suspected of suffering from adverse reactions to food by researchers from Padua, Italy. Discrepancies between reported food intolerance and sensitization test findings in IBS patients; Indications showing half of the...
- Cognitive Psychotherapy and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Introduction to the Special Issue. Blanchard, Edward B. // Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy;Summer2005, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p99
Introduces a series of articles on psychological treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Linked to Emotional Abuse. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Apr2000, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p3
Deals with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Clinical manifestations of the disease; Cause of the abdominal disease; Treatment.
- More women than men seek treatment for IBS. Gannon, Kathi // Drug Topics;5/5/2003 Supplement, Vol. 147 Issue 9, p17S
Discusses the prevalence and management of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Major role played by pharmacists in treating patients with IBS; Symptoms of IBS; Predominance of IBS in women than men; Therapeutic agents in the treatment of IBS.
- Irritable bowel syndrome--what it is and what it isn't. // Medical Update;Sep99, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p2
Provides information on causes and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).