Determining Brain Death in Adults A Guideline for Use in Critical Care
- Usefulness of venous oxygen saturation in the jugular bulb for the diagnosis of brain death: report of 118 patients. Díaz-Regañón, Genaro; Miñambres, Eduardo; Holanda, Marisol; González-Herrera, Segundo; López-Espadas, Francisco; Garrido-Díaz, Carlos // Intensive Care Medicine;Dec2002, Vol. 28 Issue 12, p1724
Objective. To assess the usefulness of venous oxygen saturation in the jugular bulb (SjO2) as a complementary test for the diagnosis of brain death. Design. Prospective observational study. Setting. Polytrauma intensive care unit (ICU) of an acute-care teaching hospital in Santander, Spain....
- The effect of telemedicine in critically ill patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. Wilcox, M Elizabeth; Adhikari, Neill KJ // Critical Care;2012, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p11429
Abstract: Introduction: Telemedicine extends intensivists' reach to critically ill patients cared for by other physicians. Our objective was to evaluate the impact of telemedicine on patients' outcomes. Methods: We searched electronic databases through April 2012, bibliographies of included...
- The need for critical care nurse education at preregistration level. Higginson, Ray; Lewis, Chris; De, Diana; Jones, Bridie // British Journal of Nursing;12/9/2004, Vol. 13 Issue 22, p1326
In order to deliver a comprehensive and high-quality intensive care service, all intensive care providers must be suitably educated and trained. Both the NHS and higher education establishments have been subjected to radical reviews and reforms in order that they meet the educational demands of...
- VISÃƒO DOS FAMILIARES EM RELAÃ‡ÃƒO A HUMANIZAÃ‡ÃƒO DA ASSISTÃŠNCIA PRESTADA PELA EQUIPE DE ENFERMAGEM NA UNIDADE DE TERAPIA INTENSIVA. SILVA, OLVANI MARTINS; BATASSINI, RENATA; ASCARI, ROSANA AMORA // UNINGÃ Review;Jan-Mar2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p74
The Unit of Terapia Intensiva (UTI) is an environment where they are treated patient in serious state, potencializando overwhelming feelings to the familiar ones. To give a humanizada assistance, is essential condition for the health professionals. The objective was to know the vision of the...
- VivÃªncias dos Enfermeiros ao Cuidar do Doente CrÃtico Durante o Transporte MarÃtimo. MEDEIROS RODRIGUES, LISETE MARIA; AMADO MARTINS, JOSé CARLOS // Pensar Enfermagem;2012, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p26
The necessity for special care and diagnostic exams requires boat transportation of the critically ill patient between the islands of Pico and Faial. This study aims to analyse the experiences of nurses from Unidade de SaÃºde da Ilha do Pico in regards to the care of the critically ill patient...
- When do you cut off care in the ICU? // Trustee;Feb96, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p4
Reports on the study on intensive care patients at Stanford University Hospital in Stanford, California. Identification of patients least likely to benefit from typical intensive care treatments; Characteristics of patients included in the Potential Ineffective Care category.
- CME/CNE Questions. // Critical Care Alert;Jun2007, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p23
A quiz related to critical care medicine is presented.
- CE Test. // Critical Care Nurse;Apr2010 Supplement, pS17
The article presents a continuing education (CE) test related to progressive mobility in the critically ill.
- An emotional awakening. Heras La Calle, Gabriel // Intensive Care Medicine;Jan2016, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p115
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of being an intensive care physician since 2007 where he worked daily with the critically ill and their families.