Trying to Close Gap, Chicago Delays Budget Presentation
- Budget crunched. Crews, Chris // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);
The article reports that Burnet County in Texas seeks a five percent property tax increase to offset the $1.3 million budget deficit.
- Levee district tax goes to voters. Stuart // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);11/15/99, Vol. 20 Issue 21, p1
Focuses on the millage property tax proposal of Levee Board in New Orleans, Louisiana. Use of money from property tax to cover budget deficits and pay for flood protection; Financial concerns of the city; Impact of the erosion of the spillway revenue on flood control workers; Cause of the...
- Reduce property taxes by a third: A lesson from Australia. Bridgeo, William // Public Management (00333611);Sep96, Vol. 78 Issue 9, p16
Discusses how the state of Victoria in Australia succeeded in reducing its deficit of $4 billion in 1992 to a $1 billion surplus in 1996. Practicality and business sense that helped reduce property taxes; Success of government restructuring efforts; Consolidation effort that can be applied to...
- After the crisis: Bringing public finances back to a sustainable path. // OECD Economic Surveys: Germany;Mar2010, Vol. 2010 Issue 9, p61
Past consolidation has allowed the automatic stabilisers operate fully during the crisis. Further fiscal easing in late 2008 and early 2009 contributed to a markedly widening fiscal deficit in 2010. A newly enacted fiscal rule, which limits the structural budget deficit of the federal government...
- Atlanta Sheds 1,400 Jobs, Increases Property Tax, and Eyes $57M in Cuts. van Dusen, Christine // Bond Buyer;1/21/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33045, p5
The article reports that Atlanta, Georgia has scrambled to close a gap of $40 million by eliminating more than 1,400 positions, boosting property tax revenue by $40 million, and proposing $57 million in spending cuts for fiscal 2009, due to a budget shortfall of $140 million. According to Mayor...
- Kent County Facing Budget Shortfall. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;7/18/2005, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p3
Focuses on a budget shortfall faced by Kent County in Michigan. Expectation on the total revenue to the county in 2006; Prediction on property tax receipts to the county for fiscal year 2006 budget; Maximum amount the county is willing to transfer from the fund balance.
- OKLAHOMA: Budget Accord Struck. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;2/2/2010, Vol. 371 Issue 33259, p9
The article reports that budget cuts would be implemented on public spendings in Oklahoma in an aim to balance the remaining fiscal 2010 budget.
- Bailouts, overspending push budget deficit to record level. Benko, Anita // Budapest Business Journal;11/4/2002, Vol. 10 Issue 46, p3
Reports Hungary's budget deficit will reach almost nine percent of gross domestic product. Expenditure to bail out state-owned corporations; Impact on the country's planned entry into the European Union.
- The States Cry Wolf. Poltenson, Norman // Business Journal (Central New York);2/21/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p26
Comments on the request of the National Conference for State Legislatures for an additional federal funds to cover the budget deficits in the U.S. Amount of the proposed rescue plan; Need for public spending cuts; Result of inflation-adjusted spending.