N.Y. County Looking at $70M Refunding to Offset $130M Gap
- Should we send Uncle Sam a thank-you note? // New Hampshire Business Review;5/30/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p10A
Editorial. Comments on the reliance of the state of New Hampshire on the federal government assistance. Failure of the state to manage the revenue problem; Assessment of the budget-writing process; Elimination of budget deficits.
- Running Out of Options, Tennessee Feels Heat to Institute Income Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;6/6/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31402, p1
Reports the budget shortfalls in the state of Tennessee. Solution to the spending cuts of the government; Amount of the projected gap in the government; Plans on the increase of sales tax.
- Expanding state sales tax does disservice to us all. Doerr, David R. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/10/2003, Issue 323032, p21
Discusses why the plan of the legislative body of the state of California to extend the state-local sales tax in order to close the state's budget deficit would have a negative effect on the economy. Discrimination against small businesses; Difficulty related to the administration of sales tax.
- Revenue-Strapped States Face Shortfalls, But Will They Last? DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;02/15/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31078, p36
Reports on the budget deficits faced by states in the southeast United States. Names of states relying on sales-tax collections for revenues; Creation of tax cuts in North Carolina; Elimination of budget shortfalls in Tennessee.
- The case for a sales tax. C.S. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/12/94, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Considers how the push to eliminate the deficit has stalled tax reform in Alberta. Recommendations of the tax reform commission; Consideration of a broad-based consumption (sales) tax; Deficit halved; Willingness of Albertans to spend less; Great danger of sales tax; Warnings by University of...
- The State Deficit. Shyavits, Marci // 21st Century;Jan90, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p9
The author reflects on the use of the sales tax in aiding the budget deficit of Massachusetts. The author states that most of the people are shopping at New Hampshire malls to avoid the 5% sales tax. The author also notes that the government is also planning to increase the sales tax of...
- Parishes, cities taking a hit on sales taxes. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/22/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p4
Reports the influence of recession on the decrease in sales tax in New Orleans, Louisiana. Budget deficit experienced by the city; Decline in the revenue of the tourism industry; Types of taxes considered as revenue generating sources.
- Local legislative agendas heading to Capitol. Zwilling, James // Inside Tucson Business;1/12/2004, Vol. 13 Issue 27, p6
Focuses on the legislative agenda to be discussed by Arizona lawmakers on their regular hearing on January 13, 2004. Transportation legislation that would make the Pima Association of Governments a regional transportation authority with the power to enact a tax; State budget deficit; Land use.
- State involvement in the economy through budgetary expenditure The role of the modern state in the economy. Nita, Nelu // Economy Transdisciplinarity Cognition;2011, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p156
The reasons of fundamental and profound involvement in the economy, market flaws are corrected, its mechanisms, support for the conduct of normal economic life, balancing economics with the social, economic and environmental harmonization of relations. It is possible to reduce the state's...