Gregory VII and the Politics of the Spirit
- King-Sized Confusion. King, Joe M. // Church & State;Apr2004, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p22
Presents a letter to the editor about the struggle between King Henry IV of England and Pope Gregory VII.
- TOPICS OF INTEREST. BLAKELY, PAUL L.; CHESTERTON, G. K.; REVILLE, JOHN C.; WALSH, JAMES J.; CHEW, JOHN PAUL // America;5/6/1916, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p77
The article presents reports on several topics of general interest including the investigation of the Catholic charities of New York which refuse to pay tribute to the modern pagan philantropy. Another report focuses on Pope Gregory VII who ascended the Fisherman's throne upon the death of Pope...
- Untitled. // America;4/27/1912, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p70
The article looks at the view of Father Thurston on one of the books by Doctor Rappoport. It reports that the book focuses on the Pope Joan fable and suggests that Doctor Rappoport, in this book, slanders several worthy popes including the sainted Pontiff Gregory VII. It states that Father...
- The Pope, the Emperor, and the First Amendment. Thompson, Augustine // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1992, Issue 25, p11
Looks at the power and authority possessed by Christianity. Comparison between the power of former Roman Emperor Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII; Kinds of religious authority; Function of the First Amendment with regards to choice of religion.
- The Millennial Struggle for Liberty. Palmer, Tom G. // Human Events;12/31/99, Vol. 55 Issue 49, p6
Focuses on events which happened within the first millennium. Independence of the Church from the State announced by Pope Gregory VII; Growth of European constitutionalism; Rebirth of constitutionalism; Rise and fall of the totalitarian state.
- HILDEBRAND. A. D. 1020-1085. THE PAPAL EMPIRE. Lord, John // Beacon Lights of History;3/1/2006, p31
Chapter 3 of the book "Beacon Lights of History," Volume III, is presented. It profiles Pope Saint Gregory VII, who is also known as Hildebrand. He was born in Italy in 1020 to a carpenter. Details related to his early life, dominating ideas, as well as on his reign as a pope are offered. It...
- Important Discovery of Vatican Archives. FISCHER, JOSEPH // America;2/18/1911, Vol. 4 Issue 19, p437
The article reports on Reverend William P. Peitz's investigation on Gregory VII's Pontifical Register, noted to be partial, arbitrary and incomplete. It states that Father Peitz, after a thorough investigation of the Vatican library, has a different judgment, opposing other people's views. He...
- DEVELOPMENTS, REFORMS, AND TWO GREAT REFORMATIONS: TOWARDS A HISTORICAL ASSESSMENT OF VATICAN II. O'Malley, John W. // Theological Studies;Sep83, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p373
Discusses similarities and differences between Vatican Council II and the Gregorian and Lutheran reformations. Pope Gregory VII's role in the Gregorian reform; Martin Luther's role in the Protestant Reformation; Changes effected by the two reformations; Content and paradigm of Vatican II;...
- How saints have navigated church-state tensions. Craughwell, Thomas J. // Our Sunday Visitor;6/3/2012, Vol. 101 Issue 5, p18
The article presents a background of the long history of church-state tensions which include the conflict between King Henry IV of Germany and Pope Gregory VII.