Jews and Catholics: Beyond Apologies
- Frontline pope. // Commonweal;10/08/99, Vol. 126 Issue 17, p5
Cites the impact of Pope John Paul II both on the Catholic Church and the world from 1970s through 1990s. Indication of the pope's stature; Views from commentators and novelists; Efforts of the pope to bring the Jews and Catholics together.
- Pope on a mission of contrition. Wentworth, Richard L. // Christian Science Monitor;5/8/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 114, p1
Reports on a journey of Pope John Paul II to nations in Europe and Asia. Apology of the Pope for sins committed by the Catholic Church against Jews and Orthodox Christians; Issue of the document 'Memory and Reconciliation: The Church and its Past Errors'; Outlook for the Catholic Church.
- China's Catholicism with a twist twisting free? Henderson, Leslie // National Catholic Reporter;7/2/93, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p13
Focuses on the state of Catholicism in China. Imprisonments, torture and death suffered by some Chinese Catholics; Membership in the government-sanctioned Catholic church; Recognition that Pope John Paul II is the head of the church.
- CARRYING OUR FOREFATHERS' GUILT. Czajkowski, Michat // Dialogue & Universalism;2001, Vol. 11 Issue 5/6, p45
Evaluates the nature and scope of the acts of penitence that took place in Poland following the commemoration of the massacre of Jews in Jedwabne, Poland in World War II. Penitential service by Polish Episcopate; Catholic guilt; Warning against forgetting and justifying historic wrongs; Call by...
- FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSESâ€¦. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul2000, Issue 104, p81
Focuses on public reaction to the Catholic Church's public confession of the sins of her children over the centuries. Concerns raised by cardinals; Pope John Paul II's awareness of the risks involved; Sign of the Church's confidence in the forgiving and renewing grace of God in Christ;...
- The Papacy for an Ecumenical Age. Orsy, Ladislas // America;10/21/2000, Vol. 183 Issue 12, p9
Comments on the efforts of the Roman Catholic Church to find ways of exercising the papal ministry. Need for perpetual conversion; Challenges posed by Pope John Paul II's request for perpetual conversion; Association between a universal church and particular churches; Appointment of Bishops;...
- Forward to the Past. Doerr, Edd // Humanist;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p38
Discusses some points of disagreements in the catechism of the Catholic Church approved by Pope John Paul II on October 11, 1992. Authentical interpretation of the word of God; Universal power of the Roman Pontiff; Celibacy requirement for priests; Mixed marriages; Family planning and religious...
- Pope approves efforts to join with mainland bishops. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;2/8/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 14, p7
Reports on the approval of Pope John Paul II for efforts of Taiwanese bishops to reconcile with the divided mainland Chinese church. Benefits of the efforts for mutual understanding among the two churches; Pope's acceptance of the two state solution favored by Taiwan.
- If it's not infallible, is the pope not sure? Farrell, Michael J. // National Catholic Reporter;9/2/94, Vol. 30 Issue 38, p14
Focuses on miscellanea related to the Pope John Paul II and the Catholic Church. Includes comments on papal letter on ordination of women as priests; Infallibility of the pope; San Diego, California `News Notes' newspaper's articles on the pope.