- TAX--A Salve for the Wounds of Debt Guarantors: Stratmore v. Commissioner. Olthoff, Mark A. // Journal of Corporation Law;Summer87, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p815
For the past twenty-five years, guarantors of debt generally have been denied an interest deduction under section 163(a) of the Internal Revenue Code (the Code) for interest payments they are required to make upon the default of the principal debtor. Instead, guarantors are relegated to seeking...
- UOMI compounding amendment implementation. Jamieson, Aylton // Chartered Accountants Journal;Jun99, Vol. 78 Issue 5, p44
Details legislative changes in the computation of the use of money interest (UOMI). Computation of the interest charged on underpaid provisional tax installments for the income year 1998-99; Compounding of UOMI for the 1997-98 income year; Issuance of notices of proposed adjustment; Application...
- Understanding What Economic Interest Means to Mineral Rights. Kollar, Edward A. // Pennsylvania CPA Journal;Winter2016, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p18
The article focuses on definition of economic interests in case of mineral rights of a taxpayer in the U.S. with reference to the court case Palmer v. Bender. Topics discussed include need of having economic interest in order to claim income tax depletion deduction, reasons for determination of...
- GO Sale Could Be D.C.'s Last. Funk, Lynne // Bond Buyer;6/30/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32909, p1
The article reports on the possible effect of the approval of a bill which will allow the issuance of bonds backed by income taxes in Washington D.C. According to senior financial policy adviser Marcy Edwards, the approval of the income tax bonds will lead to plan of offering the bonds, in lieu...
- Paying interest. // U.S. Banker;Oct97, Vol. 107 Issue 10, p18
Presents information on bank interests being paid on demand accounts by brokerage firms, while highlighting a legislation in the United States. Who introduced the legislation; What the legislation implies; Indication of the America's Community Bankers collaborating with Metcalf.
- Uniform commercial code. Bernstein, H. Bruce; Ash, Herbert L. // Secured Lender;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p56
Reports that lenders should hold a security interest in proceeds from a sale of a broadcast license from the Federal Communications Commission according to a Federal Court of Appeals. Case surronding security interest decision; Details on case.
- Let competition set interest rates. // Crain's Detroit Business;4/24/95, Vol. 11 Issue 17, p6
Opinion. Discusses the impact of legislative proposals to remove interest rate caps in Michigan on the state's lenders. Arguments set by business groups on the benefits of removing interest rate limits; Jobs lost in banking due to credit card interest ceilings.
- Teachers get a break--on taxes. // American Teacher;Feb2007, Vol. 91 Issue 5, p11
The article explains that U.S. Congress passed a law in December, 2006, allowing a tax break for teachers who spend their own money on classroom supplies. The American Federation of Teachers together with their members and electronic activists lobbied to keep this tax break. Also included in the...
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;2/24/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31578, p34
Presents an overview of various laws and legislation related to bond market in the U.S. Provisions of U.S. President George W. Bush's economic stimulus plan; Developments related to America's Better Classrooms Act of 2003; Provisions of National Defense Rail Act.