Fighting the real bullies
- EVERYONE LOVES A BULLY. Svoboda, Elizabeth // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p20
Focuses on the bullies in the U.S. middle schools. Misconception about bullies; Characteristics of a bully; Reason for the habitual bullying behavior of some children; Best way to deal with bullies.
- Focus on the Wonder Years: Challenges Facing the American Middle School (Book). // Future Survey;Aug2004, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p13
Reviews the book "Focus on the Wonder Years: Challenges Facing the American Middle School," by Jaana Juvonen et al.
- Effects of group and situational factors onpre-adolescent children's attitudes to school bullying. Nesdale, Drew; Scarlett, Michael // International Journal of Behavioral Development;Sep2004, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p428
This study examined the effect on pre-adolescent children's attitudes to bullying of one group-based variable (group status) and two situational variables (rule legitimacy and rule consistency). Pre-adolescent boys ( n = 229) read a story about a group of boys who had high or low (handball)...
- Bullying behaviour and psychosocial health among school students in New South Wales, Australia ... Forero, Roberto; McLellan, Lyndall // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);08/07/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7206, p344
Presents information on a study which examined the prevalence of bullying behaviors in schoolchildren in New South Wales, Australia, and the association of bullying with psychological and psychosomatic health. Participants and methods; Results and discussion.
- Personal and Social Characteristics of Schoolchildren Involved in Bullying in Primary Education. S�nchez, Consuelo; Cerezo, Fuensanta // Electronic Journal of Research in Educational Psychology;2010, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p1015
Introduction. According to the latest Ombudsman's report, aggressive behavior happens frequently in our country's schools (Spain), appearing in all its manifestations: insults, threats, physical aggression, social isolation, etc. Now, however, we are witnessing a growing interest in this...
- Patyciu bendrojo lavinimo mokykloje samprata: prieï¿½asciu, formu ir pasekmiu diskursas. Targamadze, Vilija; Valeckiene, D�iuginta // Acta Paedagogica Vilnensia;2007, Vol. 19, p159
The article attempts to analyze the interpretation spread of conception of bullying in comprehensive school, emphasizing both multi-dimension of bullying and its purposeful linking to bullying forms, reasons and consequences. Researches of Olweus (1999), Smith, (2000) demonstrate that it is...
- Can suicide ever be 'rational'? O'Neill, Terry // Report / Newsmagazine (Alberta Edition);12/18/2000, Vol. 27 Issue 16, p56
Discusses the suicides of two school-age children in British Columbia as a result of bullying. Reasons children become bullies, including imitating the violence they see in their own homes; Potential reasons for the use of suicide to escape bullying, including the acceptance of euthanasia and...
- Kids report bullying in every school level. // New York Amsterdam News;6/19/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 25, p22
The article presents several first person narratives of school children who have been bullied. Talking about bullying in his school, Ramses Driskell said, "I've been bullied. I was looking at cards and a kid that was older snatched them and ran." Zeoxing Yang said, "My older cousin, who is now...
- BULLY/VICTIM PROBLEMS IN NORTHERN IRELAND'S SCHOOLS: DATA FROM THE 2003 YOUNG PERSONS' BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE SURVEY. Guckin, Conor Mc; Cummins, Pauline K.; Lewis, Christopher Alan // Adolescence;Summer2009, Vol. 44 Issue 174, p347
McGuckin and Lewis (2003, 2006, 2008), Mc Guckin, Lewis and Cummins (under review b) have reported that little is known about the nature, incidence and correlates of bully/victim problems in the Northern Ireland school system. The aim of the present study was to examine the prevalence of...