Fighting the real bullies
- EVERYONE LOVES A BULLY. Svoboda, Elizabeth // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p20
Focuses on the bullies in the U.S. middle schools. Misconception about bullies; Characteristics of a bully; Reason for the habitual bullying behavior of some children; Best way to deal with bullies.
- Focus on the Wonder Years: Challenges Facing the American Middle School (Book). // Future Survey;Aug2004, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p13
Reviews the book "Focus on the Wonder Years: Challenges Facing the American Middle School," by Jaana Juvonen et al.
- Effects of group and situational factors onpre-adolescent children's attitudes to school bullying. Nesdale, Drew; Scarlett, Michael // International Journal of Behavioral Development;Sep2004, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p428
This study examined the effect on pre-adolescent children's attitudes to bullying of one group-based variable (group status) and two situational variables (rule legitimacy and rule consistency). Pre-adolescent boys ( n = 229) read a story about a group of boys who had high or low (handball)...
- Bullying behaviour and psychosocial health among school students in New South Wales, Australia ... Forero, Roberto; McLellan, Lyndall // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);08/07/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7206, p344
Presents information on a study which examined the prevalence of bullying behaviors in schoolchildren in New South Wales, Australia, and the association of bullying with psychological and psychosomatic health. Participants and methods; Results and discussion.
- RELATION BETWEEN SCHOOL BULLYING DURING ADOLESCENCE AND SUBSEQUENT LONG-TERM UNEMPLOYMENT IN ADULTHOOD IN A FINNISH SAMPLE. Varhama, Lasse M.; Björkqvist, Kaj // Psychological Reports;Apr2005, Vol. 96 Issue 2, p269
The relationship between school bullying in adolescence and long- term unemployment in adulthood was investigated. A questionnaire was distributed to 68 participants of a training program for people with long-term unemployment in Finland. Responses were compared with data of a nationwide...
- Patyciu bendrojo lavinimo mokykloje samprata: prieï¿½asciu, formu ir pasekmiu diskursas. Targamadze, Vilija; Valeckiene, D�iuginta // Acta Paedagogica Vilnensia;2007, Vol. 19, p159
The article attempts to analyze the interpretation spread of conception of bullying in comprehensive school, emphasizing both multi-dimension of bullying and its purposeful linking to bullying forms, reasons and consequences. Researches of Olweus (1999), Smith, (2000) demonstrate that it is...
- Personal and Social Characteristics of Schoolchildren Involved in Bullying in Primary Education. S�nchez, Consuelo; Cerezo, Fuensanta // Electronic Journal of Research in Educational Psychology;2010, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p1015
Introduction. According to the latest Ombudsman's report, aggressive behavior happens frequently in our country's schools (Spain), appearing in all its manifestations: insults, threats, physical aggression, social isolation, etc. Now, however, we are witnessing a growing interest in this...
- Can suicide ever be 'rational'? O'Neill, Terry // Report / Newsmagazine (Alberta Edition);12/18/2000, Vol. 27 Issue 16, p56
Discusses the suicides of two school-age children in British Columbia as a result of bullying. Reasons children become bullies, including imitating the violence they see in their own homes; Potential reasons for the use of suicide to escape bullying, including the acceptance of euthanasia and...
- Bullying - Like Father Like Son? The contentious findings of a year long study. Henry, Sally // Education Journal;Apr2004, Issue 76, p23
Studies the historical and contemporary ideas relating to the cause and effect of school bullying. Patterns of aggressive behavior among school children; Influence of the coping strategies of adults on the social competence of children; Value of parental behavior to modeling in the social...