San Diego Starts on Road to Bolster Its Market Credibility
- Vallejo City Council Votes for Bankruptcy. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;5/8/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32874, p1
The article reports on the decision of the Vallejo City Council in California to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection. The City Council's move follows the failure of its initiatives to improve its finances. Vallejo will be considered as the largest city in California to seek protection from...
- Right Move, Wrong Time. Belt, Rick // San Diego Business Journal;4/18/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 16, p50
The article reports on a living wage ordinance approved by San Diego City Council. This is a critical juncture for the city's finances, yet the council nonetheless approved a law obligating companies contracting with the city to pay $10 an hour plus provide health coverage, or fund an extra $2...
- Chicago Council Passes New Diversity Disclosure Rules. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/20/2014, Issue 34214, p1
The Chicago City Council approved new rules that require underwriting, advisory, and legal firms that work on Chicago bond deals to report the racial, ethnic and gender makeup of the teams on their transactions.
- Fitch Report Stresses Local Fund Balance Policies. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;1/26/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32057, p4
This article reports that local governments policies on fund balances and reserves are key management tools that can add strength to a locality's overall credit. The fact that the city council voted on the policy and enshrined it in law represents a much greater credit strength than merely...
- Petty power play politics hobble Nagin's promise. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);7/22/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 57, p22
Talks about the obstructionist stance taken by Louisiana's New Orleans City Council against Mayor Ray Nagin's appointments in 2002. Criticisms of Nagin's proposed personnel pay scales; Case of Jim Singleton, a civil servant appointed by Nagin on board for his institutional expertise in city...
- Borders Settles In. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;8/19/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31951, p31
Reports on the designation of Lisa Borders as president of the City Council in Atlanta, Georgia. Career history of Borders; Responsibilities of Borders in the city council; Appointment of council members to legislative committees.
- Councils queue for `Liverpool treatment'. McHale, Maria // Public Finance;03/26/99, p4
Reports that city councils in Great Britain, were lining up to have their management techniques and services be examined by the British Improvement and Development Agency. Results of the agency's initial review of the Liverpool City Council in England; Costs of the reviews; Roles and...
- Bath campaigners petition for separate town council. Pryde, Andrew // Public Finance;6/14/2002, p11
Reports on the campaign for the establishment of Bath, England as a separate town council as of June 2002. Opposition of residents to its amalgamation with the rural Wansdyke District Council; Number of signatories who call for a unitary authority for Bath; Complaints against the structure of...
- Councils drag their feet on Best Value. Harding, David // Public Finance;02/26/99, p10
Discusses the delay by city councils in implementing the Best Value initiative in Great Britain. Failure by the councils to put in place local performance indicators; Lack of set of local targets to prepare for the service delivery program.