Postexposure prophylaxis with oseltamivir reduced influenza transmission in households
- GP Registrar: Pictorial - Case Study. Gnanapragasam, Vasa // GP: General Practitioner;4/15/2005, p79
The article focuses on a medical case study. The patient had mild flu-like symptoms few days before it appeared. Another child in her class had red cheeks a week or two ago. The girl has erythema infectiosum also called slapped cheek disease or fifth disease. It is a parvovirus infection that...
- David Newnham pulls out all the stops for a flu jab. Newnham, David // Nursing Standard;12/1/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p31
The article presents an author's narrative of a flu job. The leaflet in the post office was clear about who was and was not entitled to a flu jab. And basically, I was not. Which seemed unfair given that, thanks to last year's dose of the virulent virus, I now have a permanently droopy eyelid...
- Clinical Characteristics Are Similar across Type A and B Influenza Virus Infections. Mosnier, Anne; Caini, Saverio; Daviaud, Isabelle; Nauleau, Elodie; Bui, Tan Tai; Debost, Emmanuel; Bedouret, Bernard; Agius, Gérard; van der Werf, Sylvie; Lina, Bruno; Cohen, Jean Marie; null, null // PLoS ONE;9/1/2015, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p1
Background: Studies that aimed at comparing the clinical presentation of influenza patients across virus types and subtypes/lineages found divergent results, but this was never investigated using data collected over several years in a countrywide, primary care practitioners-based influenza...
- Is it a cold or the flu? // Current Science;1/8/99, Vol. 84 Issue 9, p6
Compares the symptoms of cold and flu. Onset; Fever; Chills; Aches and pains; Headache; Fatigue and weakness; Runny or stuffy nose; Sneezing; Sore throat; Chest discomfort and cough; Diarrhea or vomiting. INSET: Mindstretch.
- Flu or Cold? // Weekly Reader - Edition 2;Nov2010, Vol. 80, Special section p4
A quiz about the symptoms of influenza and a cold is presented.
- The role of facemasks and hand hygiene in the prevention of influenza transmission in households: results from a cluster randomised trial; Berlin, Germany, 2009-2011. // BMC Infectious Diseases;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p26
The article presents a study focusing on the role of facemasks and hand hygiene in the prevention of influenza transmission in households in Berlin, Germany. The results of the study suggest that household transmission of influenza can be reduced by the use of non-pharmaceutical interventions...
- Comparison of Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 and Seasonal Influenza Viral Loads, Singapore. Lee, Chun K.; Lee, Hong K.; Loh, Tze P.; Lai, Florence Y. L.; Tambyah, Paul A.; Chiu, Lily; Koay, Evelyn S. C.; Tang, Julian W. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Feb2011, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p287
Mean viral loads for patients with pandemic (H1N1) 2009 were â‰ˆ1 log10 times lower than those for patients with seasonal influenza within the first week after symptom onset. Neither pandemic nor seasonal influenza viral loads correlated with clinical severity of illness. No correlation was...
- Influenza. // Encyclopedic Reference of Molecular Pharmacology;2004, p491
An encyclopedia entry for "influenza" is presented. Influenza is an acute viral disease caused by Influenza A or B virus. Symptoms usually occur suddenly and include high fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, sore throat and malaise. Bacterial superinfection of the respiratory tract sometimes...
- Avian flu. Rutledge, Barbara J. // Healthcare Traveler;Jul2005, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p24
Presents information on avian flu. Background of origin; Symptoms; Treatment. INSETS: Influenza A virus;Shuffling the viral genome.