Going Fashionably Cultural with Headwraps for 1999
- BAL MASQUE. // Ebony;Sep1951, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p67
The article focuses on Les Dames, a combined dance, stage show and woman's headdress contest social event for African Americans in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California presented by the Les Dames women's club.
- CHIC CHAPEAUS! // Essence (Time Inc.);Aug2011, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p118
Photographs of several stylish hats for African American women, as well as beauty tips when wearing various styles, are presented, including the Harlem's Heaven feather headband, the Lola Hats leopard pillbox and the Alexandre Herchcovitch twill top with lace.
- On educating Negro women. // On Educating Negro Women;2009, p225
Presents a letter from an author with the pseudonym `Matilda,' pleading for education of Negro women in the United States. First appearance of the letter in the August 10, 1827 issue of `Freedom's Journal,' the first Negro newspaper. Her view about the mathematical knowledge of Negro women; Her...
- DOLLARS AND LIPSTICK: THE UNITED STATES THROUGH THE EYES OF AFRICAN WOMEN. Monga, Yvette Djachechi // Africa (Edinburgh University Press);2000, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p192
Reflects on the image that African women in general and Cameroonian women in particular have of the United States (U.S.) and France. Hope attributed by African women to the U.S.; How the images of America is transmitted in Africa; Imitation of life style from the U.S.
- Starting over. Thompson, K.D. // Black Enterprise;Aug88, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p58
Part of a special report: Black Women in Corporate America. More and more black women are fleeing the corporate nest to spread their entrepreneurial wings. Statistics; Examples; Where to get information on entrepreneur organizations.
- At the crossroads. King, S.R. // Black Enterprise;Aug88, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p45
Part of a special report: Black Women in Corporate America. Profiles several black women in the upper echelons; Opportunities and barriers; Why so few make it to the top; Internationalism of the marketplace; Breaking into the corporate club. INSET: The path to the executive suite.;Detoured by...
- Corrections. // Black Enterprise;Mar2006, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p22
Corrections to articles in previous issues including "The Business of Art" and "50 Most Powerful Black Women in Business," by Cathy D. Ross in the February 2005 are presented.
- Making Waves: The Theory and Practice of Black Feminism. Taylor, Ula Y. // Black Scholar;Summer98, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p18
Discusses the practice and theory of black feminism. Objective of black feminism; Factors essential to contemporary black feminism; Formation of the National Black Feminist Organization; Information on the rise of a black feminist jurisprudence; In-depth look at discrimination against African...
- BEST DRESSED WOMEN. // Ebony;Jun1968, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p172
The article features professional African-American women who are noted for their fashion sense, including Mrs. Norman B. Houston of Los Angeles, California, freelance charm and modeling consultant Perlita A. Bates and sportswoman and amateur model Mrs. Edward P. Cruzat.