TITLE

Time Warner Cable's Milestones

PUB. DATE
September 2004
SOURCE
Multichannel News;9/27/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 39, special section p21A
SOURCE TYPE
Periodical
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article presents the MSO's 30-year history parallels cable's growth. In 1968, the American Television and Communications Corp. (ATC) is founded in Denver, when 16 cable companies are joined into one, providing cable service to approximately 70,000 customers in 14 states. In 1969 ATC goes public with approximately 100,000 subscribers. In 1973, Warner Communications Inc. enters the cable business with systems in Ohio and Virginia. Time Inc. acquires 15% of ATC in exchange for cable systems serving approximately 60,000 subscribers. In 1977, Warner Cable launches the first interactive television programming with its QUBE system in Columbus, Ohio. In 1978, Time Inc. acquires the remainder of ATC (85%). ATC passes the 750,000-subscriber mark.
ACCESSION #
14554027

 

Related Articles

  • Cable's Wild Ride. Levine, Shira // America's Network;Aug99 Supplement, Vol. 103 Issue 12, p22 

    Discusses information on cable network mergers. Consolidation activities of various companies; Background on the cable industry; Technology developments in the cable industry.

  • CNN clocks Time on Web. Learmonth, Michael // Daily Variety;9/13/2005, Vol. 288 Issue 50, p4 

    Reports on the combination of the business Web sites of Time Inc. and Cable News Network under one roof, CNNMoney.com.

  • TECHTV GETS REBOOT Comcast to merge Allen's channel with G4. Amdur, Meredith; Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;12/29/2003, Vol. 281 Issue 58, p4 

    Reports on the expectation for the acquisition of TechTV by Comcast Corp. in the U.S. Effort of the company to boost its programming assets; Merger of TechTV with the company's G4 channel; Plan for the development of original programming of the combined television networks.

  • With increased consolidation of the cable industry, will it be harder to raise rates? Matheny, Luke // Electronic Media;06/21/99, Vol. 18 Issue 25, p8 

    Presents views of cable television industry executives on the effects of consolidation on cable television rates in the United States. Programming opportunities resulting from consolidation; Ease of raising rates.

  • Did Cable Topple UPN and The WB? Hibberd, James // Television Week;1/30/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p41 

    The article presents outlook on the impact of cable television on the merger between the WB and UPN television networks. Whether or not cable contributed to the netlets' decision to merge, the cable sector may have numerous opportunities to capitalize on the broadcasters' merger. Also, though...

  • THE CABLERS.  // Variety;03/26/2001, Vol. 382 Issue 6, p35 

    Provides updates on the cable television industry in United States as of March 2001. Cable network that acquired a license to broadcast the movie `Finding Forrester'; Decision of USA Networks Chairman Barry Diller to acquire the Web site Crime.com; Premiere rating of the cable franchise program...

  • Legal Issues Concerning Cable Television: The Greek Case. Iosifidis, Petros C.; Kiki, Joanna P. // Communications & the Law;Jun2000, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p5 

    Examines several issues concerning cable television (TV). Historical development of cable TV; Potential of cable TV; Legal delimitation of the medium; Access to cablecasting time with reference to Greek legal order.

  • Cable Picture Looks Sharper For 2001, Especially Top Names. Conrad, Lee // High Yield Report;12/18/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 49, p1 

    Reports on the positive outlook for the cable television industry for the year 2001.

  • TR!O Breaks Boundaries and Builds a Cult Following. Kokernak, Michael // Response;Aug2003, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p7 

    Features the cable network, TR!O. Growth of TR!O's net ad revenue in 2003; Services offered; TR!O's budget for programming costs.

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics