No Laughing Matter
- Smart Guard. // Smithsonian;Sep2015, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p96
The article looks at the FITGuard, a mouthguard developed by Arizona State University (ASU) graduates Anthony Gonzales and Bob Merriman which measures the impact of a blow to an athlete's body and calculates the likelihood that he or she will sustain a concussion.
- Effect of Mouthguards on Head Responses and Mandible Forces in Football Helmet Impacts. Viano, David; Withnall, Chris; Wonnacott, Michael // Annals of Biomedical Engineering;Jan2012, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p47
The potential for mouthguards to change the risk of concussion was studied in football helmet impacts. The Hybrid III head was modified with an articulating mandible, dentition, and compliant temporomandibular joints (TMJ). It was instrumented for triaxial head acceleration and triaxial force at...
- Consensus statement regarding helments and concussion released. // Medical Device Daily;3/18/2013, Vol. 17 Issue 52, Special section p1
This article discusses the benefits of mouthguards and helmets in minimizing injuries and counters that there is no good clinical evidence to prove that these protective gear will prevent concussion.
- Pressure laminated mouthguards: Role in prevention/reduction of injuries to athletes' mouth and brain in contact sports. MacKay, Bernadette // Canadian Journal of Dental Hygiene;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p9
A letter to the editor is presented which discusses the role of custom fit, laminated mouthguards in the prevention/reduction of tooth and orofacial injuries, and concussion and traumatic brain injury (TBI) in contact sports.
- Mouthguards provide protection for young athletes. // Dental Assistant;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p51
The article offers information on the importance of mouth guards to student athletes in preventing injuries. It mentions the insights of University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine in Pennsylvania doctor Dennis N. Ranalli on the use of mouth guards in any contact or collision sports, and...
- Clamping down on concussions. Gallagher, Patrick // Fairfield County Business Journal;2/20/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 8, p1
The article focuses on the BTX2 Impact Intelligence System, a mouth guard manufactured by Greenwich, Connecticut-based Bite Tech Inc. and Seattle, Washington-based X2 Impact Inc. It mentions that the system allows athletic trainers and coaches to monitor their athletes through a computer chips...
- Clinic aims to head off concussions. SODER, CHUCK // Crain's Cleveland Business;10/24/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 43, p0001
The article reports on a study conducted by Edward Benzel, Adam Bartsch and Vince Miele which aims to develop a mouthguard that can track the movement of an athlete's head after he or she takes a big hit. The products developed by researchers of the Cleveland Clinic are the mouthguard prototypes...
- Hard-hitting sport balances glory and injury. ROWE, DANIEL J. // Eastern Door;11/16/2013, Vol. 21 Issue 45, p28
The article focuses on the statement by the Montreal Children's Hospital (MCH) regarding the incidence of sports -acquired concussions particularly in football. It states that a call for awareness and education is needed to prevent this kind of incidence. It mentions that a player must learn...
- Athletic Mouth Guards and Their Role in Injury Prevention. Berry, David C.; Miller, M. Gene // Athletic Therapy Today;Sep2001, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p52
Examines the role of athletic mouth guards in injury prevention of the athletes. Conduction of survey by the National Youth Sports Foundation for the Prevention of Athletic Injuries Inc; Reduction on the rate of orofacial injuries; Risk of injury to the maxillary incisors.