Consolidation's Speed Has its Downside
- NIKE TO ACQUIRE UMBRO IN $582M CASH DEAL. Beckett, Whitney // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;10/24/2007, Vol. 194 Issue 87, p11
This article reports on the acquisition deal between Umbro PLC and Nike Inc. Umbro's 2006 annual revenues were approximately 149.5 million pounds, or $276 million. With licensed sales added, the number goes up to 409.4 million pounds, or $755 million. The acquisition furthers Nike's soccer...
- Space Invaders. Ryan, Thomas J. // SGB;May2005, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p8
Discusses the increasing mall access for sporting goods retailers in the U.S. following department store mergers and relocations. Advantages of the mergers and relocations for Gander Mountain; Impact on lease rates; Reasons for the decision of Fleet Fleet to open franchises in higher-rent markets.
- PUBLISHER'S LETTER. Erwin, Charlotte // SGB;Jan2006, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p8
The article presents a forecast on the sporting goods industry in the U.S. for 2006. Mergers and acquisitions will play a major role. Retailers are trying to streamline operations, and are contemplating major technology upgrades. While many consumers will remain loyal to specialty stores that...
- Eaten Alive. Ryan, Thomas J. // SGB;Jan2005, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on mergers and acquisitions in the sporting goods industry in the U.S. Reason for the merger activity according to Brien Rowe, founding partner and managing director at mid-market investment banking firm Sage Group; Benefits of the acquisitions for retailers; Information on several...
- Skate Gear Maker Buying Variflex. Cruz, Sherri // Orange County Business Journal;9/20/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 38, p8
Reports on Cypress, California-based skateboard gear maker Bravo Sports's acquisition of fellow skate gear maker Variflex Inc. of Moorpark. Market value of publicly traded Variflex; Products which each company is known for; Retail chains that sell Variflex products; Bravo's sales performance in...
- Quiksilver Buys Rossignol. Griffin, Cara // SGB;Apr2005, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p12
Reports on the acquisition of Skis Rossignol SA by Quicksilver Inc. Details of the acquisition agreement; Information on both sports apparel retailers; Significance of the acquisition to Quicksilver.
- Athlete's Foot Acquired By Aether Holdings for $51.5M. Young, Vicki M. // FN: Footwear News;8/28/2006, Vol. 62 Issue 34, p6
The article reports on the acquisition of athletic goods retailer Athlete's Foot by Aether Holdings for $51.5 million. Aether's purchase includes The Athlete's Foot brand, along with the global retail franchise operation. Under the terms of the deal, Aether agreed to an earn-out arrangement that...
- Will Nike's Break From Sears Spur Other Vendor Moves? Niemi, Wayne // FN: Footwear News;5/9/2005, Vol. 61 Issue 19, p4
Offers observation on the decision of footwear company Nike Inc. to halt business with Sears Roebuck & Co. Significance of maintaining brand value; View of global analyst Howard Platt on the reason behind Nike's move; Information on the merger activities in the retail industry.
- PPR TAKES CONTROL OF PUMA. T. J. R // SGB;Aug2007, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p10
The article announces that sporting goods company Puma is now part of PPR SA, a French conglomerate that also owns luxury brand Gucci. The article states that Puma will operate as a wholly owned subsidiary, and that the merger will improve Puma's acquisition strategy and bring high-end products...