Cable Networks Package Their Shows to Win
- USA adds 5 L.A. programming exex. Dempsey, John // Variety;03/15/99, Vol. 374 Issue 4, p29
Reports on USA Network and Sci-Fi Channel's hiring of five programming executives in Los Angeles, California, to reflect the cable television networks' growth of production for original series.
- Unleashed exec turns into Puppy Chao. Dempsey, John // Variety;02/14/2000, Vol. 377 Issue 13, p70
Features Stephen Chao, president of programming and marketing for USA Network and the Sci-Fi Channel. How he learned to take risks in television programming; His accomplishments for USA Network; Statistical information on the growth of the Sci-Fi Channel. INSETS: CityVision takes original...
- HBO enters a growing Korean cable market. Alford, Christopher // Variety;10/02/2000, Vol. 380 Issue 7, p48
Reports on the resurgence of the cable television industry in South Korea after the country's economic crisis in 1998. Launching of HBO Korea on October 2, 2000; Limitation on foreign investment in broadcasting; Penetration rates of cable televisions in affluent areas.
- Our Town. Larson, Megan // MediaWeek;06/14/99, Vol. 9 Issue 24, Cable p34
Emphasizes the advantages of regional cable news networks over local cable news networks. Proof that the demand for regional cable news network is growing; Overview of the situation at New York 1 News cable network; Discussion and analysis of the trend.
- Station Problems for Azteca. Consoli, John // MediaWeek;7/2/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 27, p7
Reports on the series of distribution setbacks encountered by Azteca America, a Hispanic television (TV) broadcast network, that could delay the network from getting on the air. Information on Azteca's agreement to acquire KXTX-TV in Dallas, Texas; Impact of Univision's acquisition of TV outlets...
- Television. Littleton, Cynthia // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;04/11/2000, Vol. 362 Issue 29, p54
Presents news updates on the television industry in the United States as of April 11, 2000. Estimated amount of charitable contributions made by television stations from August 1998 to July 1999; Plans of the Home and Garden Network to expand its original programming offerings; Rerun rights to...
- BRIEFS. // Multichannel News;05/07/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 19, p31
Reports developments of several television industry as of May 2001 in the United States. Appointment of Bonnie Hammer as president of Sci Fi Channel; Recruitment of Michael Casio as general manager of Animal Planet; Acquisition of broadcasts rights by Showtime Networks Inc.
- Howe Takes Sci Fi Into the Future. Becker, Anne // Broadcasting & Cable;5/28/2007, Vol. 137 Issue 22, p49
The article presents a profile of Dave Howe, general manager of the Sci Fi Channel cable television network. Howe was not a science fiction fan as a youth in England, but he was bored by the career of his soccer star father, Don Howe. He eventually became director of new services for the British...
- In-your-face music. Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;06/11/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 24, pSR8
Reports on the competition between cable television networks MTV2 and MuchMusic USA, which target Web-savvy viewers. Details on the program lineup of MuchMusic; Information on MTV2 show `Control Freak'; Comparison of the number of households reached by the networks.