Sony-MGM Is Definitive
- Sony, MGM Movies to Bulk Up Comcast's VOD Platform. Larson, Megan // MediaWeek;9/202004, Vol. 14 Issue 33, p6
Reports on a deal offered by Sony Corp. to Comcast Corp. to bid for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM), as of September 2004. Significance of the deal to the video-on-demand platform of Comcast; Background on the movie library of MGM; Expectations regarding the response of MGM to the bid.
- NEWS briefs. Gruenwedel, Erik // Video Store Magazine;12/26/2004, Vol. 26 Issue 53, p6
Reports that Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer shareholders has approved the merger with Sony Corp. of America and a group of investors including Comcast Corp. in Los Angeles, California in December 2004. Overview of the deal.
- MGM PROFIT DROPS. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Retailing;3/6/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p8
Reports on the losses incurred by MGM Studios for the period ended December 31, 2004. Details of an acquisition agreement between MGM Studios and a consortium of companies led by Sony Corp. and Comcast.
- TW on cutting room floor as Sony closes in on MGM. Szalai, Georg; Sperling, Nicole; Anderson, Kathleen; Rose, Marla Matzer; Foreman, Liza // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;9/14/2004, Vol. 385 Issue 33, p1
This article focuses on a group led by Sony Corp. that has reached a tentative deal to acquire MGM Pictures for about $5 billion after former frontrunner Time Warner withdrew its $4.6 billion all-cash bid, stating that it could not reach an agreement with the lion on price. The MGM board is...
- MGM Deal Could Close by Mid April. J. E. // Broadcasting & Cable;4/4/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 14, p4
Reports on acquisition of motion picture company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. (MGM) by a Sony Corp.-led consortium that includes cable company Comcast Corp. on April 2005. Number of films and television programs owned by MGM; Approval by the European Commission on the sale of MGM; Amount of the...
- SONY PONIES UP FOR LION. Learmonth, Michael; Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;9/14/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 50, p1
Reports on the agreement reached by a group led by Sony Corp. in principle with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. to acquire the studio after Time Warner Inc. failed to go on with the bidding in the U.S. Benefit offered by the deal for Sony to set up television distribution deals; Opportunity to...
- Caging Lion would put 'Hobbit' in TW's shire. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;7/19/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 10, p5
Reports that Time Warner plans to acquire movie studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Problems faced by the merger talks between Sony and MGM; Time Warner's chance to have a worldwide and theatrical and television rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit".
- LION HUNT'S OFFICIAL. LaPorte, Nicole // Daily Variety;5/20/2004, Vol. 283 Issue 33, p4
Reports on Sony Corp. of America chairman Howard Stringer's confirmation that the company is acquiring Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM). Access of Sony to the film library of MGM; Sony chief executive officer Nobuyuki Idei's vision of greater interconnectivity between Sony electronics...
- Sony continues MGM diligence. Rose, Maria Matzer; Anderson, Kathleen // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/1/2004, Vol. 384 Issue 6, p4
The negotiating situation between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Inc. (MGM) and Sony Corp. remained essentially unchanged going into the long weekend, even though sources said MGM had not officially granted Sony's Thursday request for a two-week extension of its exclusivity agreement. Both sides...