Flooding workforces store closure
- Spiralling salary bills bring downsizing threat. Westphal, Linda // Cabinet Maker;11/13/98, Issue 5114, p3
Reports on the survey conducted by Plimsoll Publishing on the possible downsizing of furniture retailers in Great Britain, as a result of rising wages. Average total salary bill as percentage of sales; Other financial pressures affecting furniture companies.
- Did retail failures help soften recession's blow? McIntosh, Jay // Furniture/Today;1/14/2002, Vol. 26 Issue 19, p74
Focuses on the condition of the furniture industry in the U.S. Impact of downsizing of retail chains on the declining retail sales of furniture and bedding; Assumption of industry analyst Jerry Epperson on the survival of some retailers from high-profile failures; Expectation for a rise in...
- Estimating the impact of foreign competition on the Wisconsin wood furniture industry. Part I. A quantitative input-output analysis. LaBissoniere, Michael D.; Bowe, Scott A. // Forest Products Journal;Mar2006, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p17
In recent years, the State of Wisconsin has lost manufacturing employment in the non-upholstered wood household furniture industry. Foreign competition has been identified as a major factor in this loss. By interviewing furniture companies in Wisconsin, and by using quantitative information...
- Home Line eliminates 3 positions. Combs, Heath E. // Furniture/Today;1/17/2011, Vol. 35 Issue 20, p4
The article reports that upholstery importer Home Line Furniture Industries Inc. has eliminated the corporate vice-president positions of Ed Schneider of sales, Bill Napier of marketing, and Bill Brady of operations.
- Bassett trims U.S. production. Linville, Jeff // Furniture/Today;12/04/2000, Vol. 25 Issue 13, p1
Reports the downsizing of Bassett Furniture plant in Bassett, Virginia. Termination of the assembly and finishing operations; Impact of importing more products and components; Decline of company sales.
- Second pine store `takes off'. // Cabinet Maker;11/21/97, Issue 5065, p4
Reports on pine retailer Woodentops' opening of a 3,000-square foot outlet in King's Lynn, England.
- Ethan Allen set to consolidate plants, eliminate 320 jobs. Russell, Thomas // Furniture/Today;7/6/2009, Vol. 33 Issue 42, p29
The article reports on the announcement of Ethan Allen Global Inc. that it will incorporate operations of two case goods facilities which will result in 320 job cuts. The company plans to consolidate its Andover, Maine sawmill and dimension mill into its Beecher Falls, Vermont operations and its...
- In brief. // Cabinet Maker;7/15/2005, Issue 5447, p5
Reports developments in the furniture industry in Great Britain. Purchase of the independent department store, Esslemont and Macintosh, by Owen Owen; Highlight of the furniture trade show, Mid Point; Plan of Sofa Brands International to layoff 200 employees at its Cambria plant.
- Talk. // Cabinet Maker;10/28/2005, Issue 5462, p9
Presents comments from executives on their projection on the possibilities of major retail closure by the end of the year. Number of respondents who agrees that there will be closures; Possible reasons of the closure; Number of respondents who disagreed.