DirecTV's Major Thrust Towards HDTV
- Murdoch has eyes on N.Z.'s Sky. Bennett, Ray; Pryor, Peter // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;9/2/2003, Vol. 380 Issue 12, p70
Digital television took two major steps here as the New Zealand government unveiled its free-to-air digital television (TV) plans on the same day Rupert Murdoch's Independent Newspapers Ltd. launched a takeover bid for the country's major digital pay TV service, Sky Television. The offer, which...
- Yet another battle looms in TV's never-ending saga. Shoebridge, Neil // BRW;02/23/98, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p51
Reports that free-to-air television networks in Australia are lobbying to win the right to launch digital television. Network willing to spend for the technology to stop rival pay television companies and the Internet from eroding their audience; Rivalry between free-to-air and pay television...
- DTT monkey business. Fox, David // TVB Europe;Jul2002, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p12
Focuses on the failure of the digital terrestrial transmission (DTT) sector of European television broadcasting. Forecast on the improvement of DTT in 2002; Role of the saturation of the pay television marketplace in the failure of DTT; Quality of Great Britain's DTT reception.
- Digital TV: free for all. // MarketWatch: Technology;June 2003, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p16
Reports on the launching of the Freeview, a non-pay digital television service in Great Britain. Coverage of the service; Importance of the service for the growth of digital TV; Percentage of households subscribing to pay television; .
- East Europe catching up with West over digital TV. // Broadcast Engineering Exclusive Insight;
The article presents two reports from Digital TV Research that see Eastern Europe catching up with the West between 2012-2015 in terms of digital television (TV) conversion and narrowing the gap over pay-TV revenues. The Digital TV Western Europe report show flat total revenues despite modest...
- With sector stocks as low as they can go, pay TV could be exactly that for investors. Bond, Paul // Hollywood Reporter;12/3/2008, Vol. 407 Issue 35, p5
The article presents a prediction concerning the performance of the pay TV industry in the U.S. Banc of America analyst Bryan Kraft predicts that the industry would witness a growth of 3.1% in 2009 as the digital broadcast transition pushes some over-the-air customers to become pay TV...
- Pay TV squares up to FTA. Efrat, Zilla // B&T Weekly;4/8/2005, Vol. 54 Issue 2513, p16
The article reports that the ratings of pay TVs have been boosted by the successful introduction of digital TV this year in Australia. As pay TV's ratings continue to grow, they've come up on everyone's radar screens. Since ratings came onto the OzTAM panel, there's been firm data showing...
- RUPE SWOOPS ON NEW PAY TV TURF. Sutter, Mary; Newbery, Charles; Bensinger, Ken; Cajueiro, Marcelo // Variety;6/6/2005, Vol. 399 Issue 3, p16
Offers observation on the cable television industry in Latin America. Result of the digital evolution among cablers; Remarks from Bruce Churchill of DirecTV Latin America; Amount that Cablevision will spend to digitalize its system.
- The Digital Set-Top-Box Decision and Your Interactive Business. Xiayan Ren; Willy Hu // Image Technology;Sep2002, Vol. 84 Issue 7, p28
The article examines the impact of interactive applications of the cost and the performance of set-top-boxes (STB) for digital pay television in Great Britain. The latest STB technologies offer broadcasters many choices to provide interactive services and to generate revenue. Broadcasters need...