Mutual Fund Expense Ratios: How High Is Too High?
- No Small Matter. Tweddell, Jerry // Financial Planning;May2003, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p120
Focuses on the small-capitalization index funds advise provided by financial planners to their clients. Information on small capitalization stock index; Description of the Standard & Poor small-cap index; Style and benchmark of small-cap index funds returns.
- Does your fund's index measure up? Ryan, Oliver // Fortune;8/9/2004, Vol. 150 Issue 3, p168
When it comes to investing in small-cap stocks, investors need to check their returns. It turns out that not all indexes are created equal. Take, for instance, the Russell 2000, the most popular small-cap index, which has $42 billion riding on it. According to Standard& Poor's, the Russell...
- Small caps beckon, then close. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;10/23/97, Vol. 89 Issue 230, p9
Reports on the practice of fund managers of small capitalization funds to close their funds to new investors so as to better limit the amount of money to be managed. The limited number of small capitalization stocks; How they are performing in 1997; Backdoors to closed funds like the Oakmark...
- Minneapolis Eyes Small-Cap Equities. Collings, Richard // Investment Management Weekly;06/11/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 24, p2
Discusses the plan of the Minneapolis Teachers' Retirement Fund to consider a virgin allocation to small-capitalization equities.
- Beware the Dreaded Cap-Creep! Topkis, Maggie // Fortune;3/3/1997, Vol. 135 Issue 4, p193
Argues that small-capitalization funds in the United States may decline in performance as prosperity prompts them to move to larger stocks. The problem due to greed; Need to close such funds to new investors, in order to keep assets under control.
- WEIGHING GROWTH VS. VALUE THE SMALL-CAP WAY. Neumeier, Shelley // Fortune;3/8/1993, Vol. 127 Issue 5, p32
Looks at the best ways to choose small-cap funds, which are hot right now. Pursuit of value vs. pursuit of growth; Example; What value managers look for; Average five-year growth rate of stocks in the John Hancock Special Equities; Pros and cons of taking on the risk of high multiples; When...
- Hang on for the ride in these sturdy small-stock funds. Wang, Penelope // Money;Apr93, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p53
Recommends long-term investment in funds that invest in small-company stocks, despite their current up-and-down performance. Example of funds' performance between October and mid-February; How little stocks tend to alternately lag and outpace big companies over several years; How to cushion the...
- These four funds find big value in small stocks. Wang, Penelope // Money;Jul97, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p59
Discusses investment in small capitalization value funds, or funds that focus on overlooked, beaten-down or misunderstood small companies selling at bargain prices. Performance of small cap value funds in the 15 years prior to May 23, 1997; Four small-cap value funds that outperformed the...
- UPDATE. Polyak, Ilana // Money;Jul2001, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p40
Discusses the performance of several United States mutual funds. Report that small-capitalization value funds performed the best; Average returns of Turner Small Cap Value, Artisan Small Cap Value and Delafield; Growth of Oakmark Select.