Changes in public order after the opening of a medically supervised safer injecting facility for illicit injection drug users
- FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HIV TESTING AND RETURNING FOR TEST RESULTS IN A SAMPLE OF OUT-OF-TREATMENT DRUG USERS. ZIEK, KRISTINE; GOLDSTEIN, MARJORIE F.; BEARDSLEY, MARK; DEREN, SHERRY; TORTU, STEPHANIE // Journal of Drug Issues;Summer2000, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p675
Demographic and behavioral factors related to taking an HIV test and returning for results were examined in a sample of out-of-treatment IDUs and crack smokers (N = 1682) recruited from the streets in East Harlem, New York City. The results of logistic regression analyses indicated that subjects...
- DRUG TREATMENT NEEDS OF HISPANIC DRUG USERS IN LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA. Fisher, Dennis G.; Reynolds, Grace L.; Moreno-Branson, Catherine M.; Jaffe, Adi; Wood, Michele M.; Klahn, Jennifer A.; Mu�iz, Juan F. // Journal of Drug Issues;Fall2004, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p879
The objective of this study is to investigate differences between Hispanic and non-Hispanic drug users in Long Beach, CA, with respect to drug use, HIV risk behaviors, and drug treatment experience and to explore the dissimilarities between Hispanic drug users who identify their family origin as...
- Lack of Behavior Change after Disclosure of Hepatitis C Virus Infection among Young Injection Drug Users in Baltimore, Maryland. Ompad, Danielle C.; Fuller, Crystal M.; Vlahov, David; Thomas, David; Strathdee, Steffanie A. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;10/1/2002, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p783
Investigates the behavior change of young injection drug users in Baltimore, Maryland after being told that they are positive for hepatitis C virus. Absence of change in behavior; Need to development post HCV-test guidelines.
- Facilitating a transition from compulsory detention of people who use drugs towards voluntary community-based drug dependence treatment and support services in Asia. Tanguay, Pascal; Kamarulzaman, Adeeba; Aramrattana, Apinun; Wodak, Alex; Thomson, Nicholas; Ali, Robert; Vumbaca, Gino; Lai, Gloria; Chabungbam, Anand // Harm Reduction Journal;10/16/2015, Vol. 12, p1
Evidence indicates that detention of people who use drugs in compulsory centers in the name of treatment is common in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. The expansion of such practices has been costly, has not generated positive health...
- The Law (and Politics) of Safe Injection Facilities in the United States. Beletsky, Leo; Davis, Corey S.; Anderson, Evan; Burris, Scott // American Journal of Public Health;Feb2008, Vol. 98 Issue 2, p231
Safe injection facilities (SIFs) have shown promise in reducing harms and social costs associated with injection drug use. Favorable evaluations elsewhere have raised the issue of their implementation in the United States. Recognizing that laws shape health interventions targeting drug users, we...
- SOCIAL CAPITAL AND BEYOND: A QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS OF SOCIAL CONTEXTUAL AND STRUCTURAL INFLUENCES ON DRUG-USE RELATED HEALTH BEHAVIORS. KIRST, MARITT J.; Kirst, Maritt J. // Journal of Drug Issues;Summer2009, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p653
Using a social capital framework, this study explores how aspects of social relationships within the social networks of injection drug users (IDUs) and crack smokers (CSs) influence their drug use-related risk and protective health behaviors. Interviews were conducted with a quota sample of 80...
- Inability to Predict Diagnosis in Febrile Intravenous Drug Abusers. Marantz, Paul R.; Linzer, Mark; Feiner, Cheryl J.; Feinstein, Stuart A.; Kozin, Arthur M.; Friedland, Gerald H. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun87, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p823
Evaluates the clinical and laboratory data for consecutive admission involving febrile intravenous drug abusers. Difficulties in the diagnosis of the infectious diseases of intravenous drug abusers; Materials and methodology of the study; Discussion on the distribution of diseases.
- Cocaine Use and the Risk for Endocarditis in Intravenous Drug Users. Chambers, Henry F.; Morris, D. Lynn; Tauber, Martin G.; Modin, Gunnard // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun87, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p833
Compares features in the cases of patients with those in intravenous drug users with other causes of fever to identify risk factors predictive of endocarditis. Methodology of the study; Analysis of clinical data; Discussion on the association between cocaine use and endocarditis.
- Factors other than the Duke criteria associated with infective endocarditis among injection drug users. Palepu, Anita; Cheung, Stephen S.; Montessori, Valentina; Woods, Ryan; Thompson, Christopher R. // Clinical & Investigative Medicine;Aug2002, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p118
Focuses on a study concerning the occurrence of infective endocarditis among injection drug-users (IDU). Utilization of echocardiogram and discharge diagnosis; Symptoms of infective endocarditis; Hospitalization index of IDU in the U.S.