EXPRESSIVE LIBERTIES IN THE STATE COURTS: THEIR PERMISSIBLE REACH AND SANCTIONED RESTRAINTS
- THE TROUBLE WITH RELIGIOUS HATRED LAWS. Edwards, Steve // Policy;Spring2008, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p38
The article examines the efficacy and significance of criminalizing the vilification and defamation of religions in establishing religious harmony in the U.S. It is proposed that every government should play very little or no role in determining what people are allowed to say and hear because it...
- LIFTING THE VEIL: ETHICS BODIES, THE CITIZEN-CRITIC, AND THE FIRST AMENDMENT. Bunker, Matthew D. // Journalism Quarterly;Spring93, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p98
Examines legal cases relating to the First Amendment free speech concerns versus governmental interest in maintaining confidentiality in ethics proceedings. Silencing criticism of judges, lawyers and public officials; Constitutional guarantees of free expression; Constitutional limits of...
- The Unbordered Borders. Langley, Winston // Human Architecture: Journal of the Sociology of Self-Knowledge;Summer2006 Special Issue, Vol. 4, p1
Many have taken on the task of purportedly advancing the cause of human rights by abstractly reciting them and clamoring for their implementation. Some speak about one's right to free speech and democracy, for example, with a convenient forgetting of the right to education, which can promote the...
- State Bar's Threat of Sanctions Violates Right to Free Speech. Milenkovski, Katerina E. // Litigation News;Winter2013, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p6
The article discusses the court case Berry vs. Schmitt wherein the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit held that the Kentucky Bar Association (KBA) violated the free speech rights of an attorney. The KBA has threatened to discipline the attorney for criticizing the Legislative Ethics...
- Confusing free speech. // Commonweal;3/14/86, Vol. 113 Issue 5, p131
Editorial. Unclear newspaper advertisements placed by religious groups are confusing the issue of free speech and responsible dissent in the Catholic Church.
- Unraveling the edges of free speech. Asante, Molefi Kete // National Forum;Spring95, Vol. 75 Issue 2, p12
Discusses ethical aspects of the right to free speech. Civility; Unsafe use of speech; Efforts to commonality of a diverse population; Speaking across cultural differences.
- Supreme Court Declines to Hear Miami Case on Cuba Book Dispute. // Education Week;12/2/2009, Vol. 29 Issue 13, p4
The article discusses a case in which the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal by the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida seeking to prevent the city of Miami from removing a book favorable to Cuba from libraries. A federal judge in Miami initially ruled that the board should add...
- Proselytizers, Pamphleteers, Pests, and Other First Amendment Champions: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. v. Village of Stratton. Lusty, Kathryn // BYU Journal of Public Law;2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p229
Examines why the right to speak in the U.S. must trump the 'right' to not hear. Crisis of conscience; Constitutional rights of door-to-door communication; Strongest challenge to individual liberty; Anonymity and privacy in free speech jurisprudence.
- Has the ACLU lost its mind? Etzioni, Amitai // Washington Monthly;Oct94, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p9
Criticizes the American Civil Liberties Union's (ACLU) support for free speech causes which violates the rights of other people. Role of ACLU in the protection of free speech claim under the First Amendment; ACLU's fight to preserve the right of the tobacco industry to advertise cigarettes;...