- Hinchey proposes `patient-safety' bill. // AHA News;04/14/97, Vol. 33 Issue 14, p3
Introduces the Patient Safety Act of 1997 authored by US Representative Maurice Hinchey.
- New law protects patient rights. // Aging;1992, Issue 363/364, p7
Reports that on December 1, 1992, a new Federal statute went into effect, marking a major breakthrough in patients' rights legislation. The Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA); What it requires; The conditions all health care providers receiving Medicare or Medicaid funding must meet; Who to...
- New health measure in Hawaii. // Business Insurance;07/13/98, Vol. 32 Issue 28, p20
Reports on a patients' bill of rights measure that took effect in Hawaii in July, 1998. Stipulations of this measure; Impact of this legislation on managed care plans in Hawaii; What this legislation requires of managed care plans.
- The Tyranny of Autonomy. Sondheimer, Henry M. // Hastings Center Report;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p51
Announces that The Hastings Center is planning an initiative to explore the use of advanced directives and the educational activities called for by the Patient Self-Determination Act. Passage by Congress of the Patient Self-Determination Act; More.
- Patients, providers, and the PSDA. Rouse, F. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, Special supplement ps2
Discusses the impact of the Cruzan case on the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA). Introduction of the bill by Senators John C. Danforth (R-Mo.) and Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.); Underlying assumption of the act; Whom the law applies to; What the law does not require; Advance directives;...
- On behalf of the patient. Mason, D. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, Special Supplement ps9
Comments on the Patient Self-Determination Act and on two issues that require clarification in most states. Guidelines for surrogates; Beginning of surrogate authority; Legislation creating a health care power of attorney; Promoting patients' autonomy and self-determination; More.
- Community education. Mezey, M. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, Special Supplement ps11
States that the mandate for community education may be the least defined and most challenging aspect of the Patient Self-Determination Act. Purposes of community education; Need to build coalitions between institutions and providers; Why consortiums offer advantages over single agencies; The...
- The spirit of the PSDA. McCloskey, E.L. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, Special Supplement ps14
Discusses the Patient Self-Determination Act. The challenge that confronted the crafters of the act; Involvement of the Health Care Finance Administration; Intent of the act; More.
- Making advance directives work: Implementing the Patient Self-Determination Act. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p31
Gives dates and locations of meetings sponsored by the Hastings Center which will address ethical and practical concerns of the Patient Self-Determination Act.