Service Experts Eye 'Leap Ahead' In Mine Warfare Capabilities
- MINE WARFAR'S BEST DEFENSE. Babcock, Mineman John // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2009, Vol. 135 Issue 6, p64
The article presents information related to the mine warfare force of the U.S. Navy. The Navy has modified several Arleigh Burke-class destroyers with the AN/WLD-1 remote minehunting system (RMS). Mine countermeasures involve several phases in the detect-to-engage sequence. While the remote...
- Irony. // Defense Monitor;1999, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p2
Reports that American servicemen in Kosovo, Yugoslavia are facing a serious risk of loss of life or limb to landmines and booby traps. Opposition to the Ottawa Landmine Treaty.
- Landmines: Deadly Hidden Killers. // Defense Monitor;1999, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p3
Discloses the existence of landmines buried in 68 countries despite the signing of the Ottawa Landmines Treayu in December 1997.
- Clearing Hidden Killers. Walters, Brian // Armada International;Apr/May2003, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p28
Focuses on the methods of land mine disposal. Categories of disposal; Examples of mine clearing equipment; Features of the equipment.
- Deadly harvest. Wolford, Kathryn // Christian Century;4/24/96, Vol. 113 Issue 14, p444
Comments on the impact of antipersonnel land mines in war-torn countries. Cost of lost productivity in nations struggling to recover after prolonged conflicts; International Campaign to Ban Landmines; Congressional efforts against antipersonel land mines.
- Shedding light on the landmine problem. Rothstein, Linda // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec1998, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p10
Discusses ways on how to improve landmine problems in the United States. Utilization of bacteria on a demining project; Mapping of mine location; Landmine ideas of militaries.
- Demining in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Midden, Eric // Engineer;Feb2001, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p20
Discusses the demining of land mines and minefields in Bosnia-Herzegovina after the end of war in Yugoslavia in December 1995. Steps in demining; Effect of the prevalence of antihandling devices and booby traps to minefields; How manual demining is performed; Conclusion.
- Calling the shots. // New Internationalist;Jan/Feb99, Issue 309, p4
Focuses on Japan's plan to develop a generation of land mines that can be detonated by remote control.
- Explosive Problem. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;12/12/2003, Vol. 82 Issue 16, p8
Presents a tabular representation of countries that have land mine casualties from 2001 to 2002. Afghanistan; Iraq; Cambodia.