Court Ruling May Lead to $3B in California Power Refunds
- Do attitudes toward specific supreme court decisions matter? The impact of Webster and Texas v.... Grosskopf, Anke; Mondak, Jeffrey J. // Political Research Quarterly;Sep98, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p633
Focuses on the manner in which attitudes regarding specific Supreme Court decisions influence subsequent levels of confidence in the court. Analysis of the impact of the 1989 `Webster' abortion decisions and `Texas v. Johnson,' the flag-burning edict released immediately prior to `Webster';...
- Delaying Justice: The Supreme Court's Decision to Hear Rearguments. Hoekstra, Valerie; Johnson, Timothy // Political Research Quarterly;Sep2003, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p351
Some of the Supreme Court's most famous casesï¿½from Roe v. Wade (1973) to Brown v. Board of Education (1954)ï¿½have been decided only after being held over and argued a second time. While few cases take this path, scholars have offered no systematic account for why the Court would ever...
- What the Supreme Court Does for Us. Adams, James Truslow // Vital Speeches of the Day;3/15/37, Vol. 3 Issue 11, p322
Discusses the role played by Supreme Court and constitution in taking decision for every federal union. Freedom of court for decision on personal liberties of people; Focus of Supreme Court to decide about fundamental rights for people; Effect of changes in constitution on the court.
- Battle not over for BC sex workers. Hainsworth, Jeremy // Xtra West (Vancouver);4/5/2012, Issue 486, p9
The article informs that the Ontario Court of Appeals has ruled out to remove several bans on brothels in the state, in a hearting of case filed by several sex workers from British Columbia.
- Kickapoo casino conviction overturned. Roberts, Michelle // Native American Times;1/15/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p4
The article reports on the decision of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, Louisiana to overturn the conviction of Isidro Garza Jr., Marth Garza, and Timoteo Garza from charges of conspiracy and theft in the Lucky Eagle Casino of the Kickapoo Tribe.
- Supreme Court to review punitive damages and use taxes. // Practical Accountant;May96, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p20
Looks at the decision made by the United States Court on how punitive damages, awarded in a personal injury lawsuit can be excluded from income under the Section 104. O'Gilvie, No 95-977 and 95-966. Other decisions relating to Ohio's use tax; Exemptions on purchase of gas from local public...
- Court of Appeal: unfair dismissal complies with human rights rules. // Employers Law;Dec2012/Jan2013, p4
The article deals with the ruling of the British Court of Appeal on a case of unfair worker dismissal.
- California Disability Case Favors Insured. Arnold, Catherine // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/3/2000, Vol. 104 Issue 27, p3
Reports the decision of California's Superior Court to reverse an Appeal Court's decision to permit the insurer to deny coverage despite an incontestability clause. Explanation on the ruling; Remarks from Mary Newcombe, a Los Angeles attorney who represented the insured in the case; Details on...
- The Supreme Court of California 1969-1970. Louisell, David W.; Sinclair Jr., Kent // California Law Review;Jan1971, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p30
Presents summaries of rulings made by the supreme court of California for the period 1969-1970. Administrative law; Constitutional law; Corporate law; Criminal law; Criminal procedure; Property; Torts; Usury.