Money talks for retailers
- JLC holds firm on pay increases. // Checkout;Aug2010, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p6
The article reports on the decision of Retail Grocery Joint Labour Committe (JLC) to implement the scheduled 2.5% pay hike in two phased increases in 2011, which was initially scheduled to come in 2010 in Ireland.
- SHOULD THE CITY MANDATE THAT BIG-BOX STORES RAISE WAGES AND PROVIDE BENEFITS? // Crain's New York Business;8/7/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 32, p4
The article presents the results of a NewYorkBusiness.com poll on the wage increase and compensation of employees working in retail stores in New York City. Nearly 41 percent of the respondents believe that there is a need for a law to provide higher compensation. Need is also felt for...
- Workers continue strike action. // DIY Week;8/15/2008, p03
The article reports that home retailer Argos workers, who are members of union Unite, continued their strike action after not accepting the improved offer of Home Retail Group of 4.1% wage hike. With no resolution in sight, national secretary Jennie Formby of Unite called the second offer...
- "the 1=3 rule" WHY THE CONTAINER STORE PAYS ITS RETAIL EMPLOYEES $50,000 A YEAR NEARLY TWICE THE INDUSTRY AVERAGE. // Eastern Worker;Nov/Dec2014, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p32
The article discusses the reason why The Container Store pays 50,000 U.S. dollars a year for its retail employees. Topics include a definition of chief executive officer (CEO) Kip Tindell's "1=3 rule" as the secret to the high wage, how the company handles employee pay raise, and the impending...
- Unions Cite Gains in New Contract. Zwiebach, Elliot // SN: Supermarket News;7/23/2007, Vol. 55 Issue 30, p6
The article reports that part of the proposed four-year contract with the big three supermarket chains in Southern California is the improved terms for workers who signed the new contract on July 22, 2007 according to United Food and Commercial Workers union leaders. It states that the union had...
- Study Points To Retail Wage Gap. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;6/ 3/2014, Vol. 207 Issue 111, p4
The article discusses the results of a study by public policy organization Demos that shows a wage gap in the U.S. retail industry. Topics covered include the annual cost to women of a gender pay gap, the impact of just-in-time scheduling and the benefits of a wage increase. Also mentioned are...
- Arbeitgeber bieten an -- Verdi lehnt ab. Reinhold, Kirsten // Textilwirtschaft;6/27/2013, Issue 26, p026
The article discusses a labor dispute in the retail industry in Germany. The author outlines the main issues of contention between employees, represented by the Verdi trade union, and employers, represented by the HDE (Handelsverband Deutschland) trade association. These include hourly wage...
- Indiana third-worst in pay growth. Marcus, Morton // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/11/2010, Vol. 30 Issue 46, p11
In this article, the author reflects on the worst pay increases experienced by workers and employees in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Meager raises on Main Street. Soule, Alexander // Fairfield County Business Journal;12/27/2010, Vol. 46 Issue 52, p1
The article reports that slight wage increases for 2011 are being planned to be implemented by companies in Fairfield County, Connecticut.