GFOA Initially OK With NABL's Alternative Penalty Proposal
- Alternative Tax Penalties. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;9/2/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31961, p1
Reports on the revised proposal by the U.S. National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL) aimed at providing alternative penalties to the taxation of bondholders when a tax-exempt bond issue violates the tax law. Need for the Congress to enact legislation to carry out a major provision contained...
- IRS Seeks $200M in Penalties. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;10/6/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32482, p1
The article reports on the proposal of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the assessment of $200 million in Section 6700 penalties against law firms, underwriters, investment banks, and issuers in the U.S. Charles Anderson, IRS tax-exempt bond office field manager, stressed to the members of...
- GFOA's `first priority' with Congress will be fight over Internet tax ban. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;02/12/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30330, p1
Reports on the Government Finance Officers Association's designation as top priority of its fight against legislation pending in the US Congress that would bar states and municipalities from taxing commerce over the Internet. Highlights of GFOA's Revenues Task Force meeting; Key provisions of...
- Oregon's Bruebaker elected president. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;06/01/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30652, p5
Reports on the election of Gary Bruebaker as president of the Government Finance Officers Association. Responsibilities of Bruebaker in the association.
- Buchalter joins GFOA in Washington. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;09/09/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30722, p40
Reports that Alice Buchalter has joined the Government Finance Officers Association as assistant director of the group's federal liaison center.
- Legislation: GFOA to Ponder NABL Tax Burden Proposal. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;11/30/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31275, p5
Reports that in the U.S., the Government Finance Officers' Association's debt committee is likely to decide at its meeting in January whether to officially support the National Association of Bond Lawyers' legislative proposal pertaining to tax burden. Details of the tax proposal; Need of...
- GFOA Joins NABL in Call for Tax Compliance Checklist. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;8/29/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32206, p5
Reports on the move of the Government Finance Officers Association to mandate that Circular 230 regulations should codify flexible written standards for state or local bond opinions in the U.S. Claim of the association on the move of issuers to welcome bond counsels use of a tax compliance...
- IRS Broadens Scope of New Penalty Plan. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/11/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31116, p1
Reports the expansion of the Internal Revenue formal penalty system scope for minor tax law violations by tax-exempt bond issuers in the United States. Purpose of intermediate sanctions; Penalties for the creation of sinking funds by issuers; Sanctions for violations of the Tax Equity and...
- Possible employer penalty reduction. // Practical Accountant;Aug99, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p17
Reports on the possibility of penalty reduction for United States businesses that were penalized by making untimely federal employment tax deposits during the first quarter of 1999. Tax law changes applying to such deposits after January 18, 1999.