Ban on cage beds premature: Czech officials
- A Sense of Normalcy. Savage, David G. // ABA Journal;May99, Vol. 85 Issue 5, p34
Discusses law requiring the treatment of people with mental disabilities in community homes other than mental hospitals in the United States. Details on the law; Comments from patient Elaine Wilson; Related cases of treatment procedure for the disabled.
- Integrating Consumer Staff Members Into a Homeless Outreach Project: Critical Issues and Strategies. Fisk, Deborah; Rowe, Michael; Brooks, Ronald; Gildersleeve, Donald // Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal;Winter2000, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p244
In recent years, mental health agencies have employed consumers of mental health services to provide clinical and rehabilitative services to persons with mental disorders. Since this practice is still relatively new, mental health practitioners have relied on other providers' experiences in...
- TRANSFER OF PRISONERS TO MENTAL INSTITUTIONS. // Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology;Fall1978, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p337
The articles explores the legal process of transferring prisoners to mental institutions in the U.S. The transfer of inmates within the penal system is no exception to this arbitrary discretion. Specifically, the transfer of prisoners from the general prison population to mental hospitals for...
- IT'S NOT JUST TALK. Ellerby, Mark // Community Care;11/17/2005, Issue 1599, p26
The article discusses the family atmosphere experienced by a mental health patient in a psychiatric hospital in Great Britain. He has adopted the perception of nurses on occasional manic and psychotic conditions at the hospital. Nurses find it difficult to exercise professional distance in...
- How managed care organizations develop selective contracting networks for psychiatric inpatient... Fisher, William H.; Lindrooth, Richard C. // Inquiry (00469580);Winter98/99, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p417
Describes the formation of an inpatient network for serving psychiatrically disabled Medicaid beneficiaries in Massachusetts. Background on Massachusetts Medicaid; Psychiatric experience; Supplemental Security Income-disabled Medicaid experience; Market competition; Geographic dispersion;...
- WHAT FUN MY ILLNESS IS. Jameson, Richard // Community Care;3/24/2005, Issue 1565, p22
Presents an article on the life of a patient suffering from hypomania. Complications of the mental illness; Experiences of the patient at a mental hospital; Emotions experienced by the patient.
- Pica as a Cause of Death in Three Mentally Handicapped Men. McLoughlin, I.J. // British Journal of Psychiatry;Jun88, Vol. 152, p842
In Prudhoe Hospital, a large mental-handicap hospital of 1000 residents, it was found that of the 94 deaths that occurred between 1982 and 1986, three were closely associated with the habit of pica. These deaths occurred in severely and profoundly handicapped males, whose average age was 32,...
- A model of mental health governance. Sugarman, Philip; Kakabadse, Nada // International Journal of Clinical Leadership;Jan2008, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p17
The history of psychiatry is littered with serious failures of governance, to the detriment of mentally disordered people resident in psychiatric hospitals. Current mental health providers, increasingly focussed on community care, have also struggled to develop effective internal governance...
- What did it mean to be classified as 'an idiot' in the 19th century? Eastoe, Stef // Community Living;2014, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p19
No abstract available.