Alternative Tax Penalties
- GFOA Initially OK With NABL's Alternative Penalty Proposal. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;9/3/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31962, p5
Focuses on the reaction of Government Finance Officers Association representatives with the revised proposal of the National Association of Bond Lawyers providing alternative penalties to the taxation of bondholders. Violation of tax law with tax-exempt bond issue; Enactment of legislation;...
- Conference Committee May Start Work Next Week. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;2/10/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32317, p5
The article reports that a congressional conference committee may start working out differences between House and Senate versions of tax reconciliation legislation in the United States. The version of Senate comprises restrictions on pooled bond issuance and a requirement that broker-dealer...
- NABL to Honor House Ways and Means Committee Counsel. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;8/31/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31959, p4
Reports that the National Association of Bond Lawyers is awarding the Carlson Prize on September 9, 2004, to John Buckley, the Democratic chief counsel on the House Ways and Means Committee. Citation of an article written by Buckley on how the 2001 tax act and lifetime savings account...
- As Expected, More Insurance Tax Talk. Katz, Michelle // LAN: Life Association News;Mar1999, Vol. 94 Issue 3, p22
Discusses the United States government's 1999 insurance-related tax proposals. Information on President Bill Clinton's Fiscal 2000 budget proposal; Industrial impact of the business-use insurance taxes; Federal taxes paid by life insurance companies between 1986 and 1995.
- German touring tax `a disaster' says promoter rep. Schoepe, Zenon // Pro Sound News;Mar96, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p36
Reports on music concert promoters' reaction to a proposed legislation which will change in German withholding tax regulations. Failure of discussions between industry groups and the German Parliamentary State Secretary; Percentage increase of the penalty for touring artists; Impact of the...
- Petroleum Tax Reform Proposals in Norway and Denmark. Lund, Diderik // Energy Journal;2002, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p37
Provides information on petroleum tax reform proposals in Norway and Denmark. Features of the petroleum tax reform proposals; Problems in the implementation of the proposals; Principles and implementation of a neutral tax based on the standard assumption of value additivity.
- Industry still seeks premium tax relief. Swift, Shelley // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/8/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 44, p19A
Reports that the Indiana insurance industry is hopeful that a bill lowering the state's premium tax will be passed this legislative session. Previous vetoing of the bill by Governor Frank O'Bannon because of budget concerns; Proposed lowering of the premium tax in a five-year period; Comparison...
- Restructuring UK PLC. Butler, Rick // Global Finance;Jul98, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p6
Deals with tax measures passed by the British government for corporations. Net effect of the laws; Comment from Oliver Stocken, chief financial officer (CFO) of Barclays Bank; Impact on sharebuybacks.
- Making gifts before they become tax exempt can save you... Selznick, David R. // Westchester County Business Journal;11/17/97, Vol. 36 Issue 46, p37
Announces that on January 1, 1998 the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 begins phasing in an estate and gift tax unified credit equivalent increase, from the current $600,000 to $1 million. Changes in gift and estate tax exemption equivalent; Gift taxes as being less expensive than estate taxes; How...